Wednesday, 1 April 2015

Task 3a: Current Networks


I believed initially that I did not use any tools for professional networking. After speaking to Paula, I understood more clearly what networking really meant and I used this information plus the questions in the handbook as a way to analyse which existing networking I use in my professional practice.
What are the current and different ways (tools) that you have, or do, engage your professional network?
I realised in my conversation with Paula, that using the BAPP blogs, is a way of networking in itself. I often follow the BAPP blogs of the people that are in teaching positions as part of their professional work places closely; I find that using the blogs of students from other modules as well as module 1, helps me to understand and identify issues that are arising in my own practices that I don’t necessarily understand at first. In this way, I see which aspects of the course are helping them in their professional practice and this helps me to overcome issues in my own work place practice. It is also interesting and useful to comment and speculate with the authors of the blogs to share things that have helped me in my work place. Similarly, I find using the comments and questions on my own posts makes me question my work further allowing me to develop my thinking even more.
The main tool that I use as a professional network site, outside of the course, is the TES (Times Educational Supplement) website. I use the site for resources as well as lesson plan ideas as well as whole module plans. I also use this website to keep up-to-date with current news within the teaching sector. I particularly like looking at the different communities available on the site, although I am more a consumer than an active user of these branches of this site.
Finally, within the school there are existing networks that I engage in to help me develop professionally by becoming part of the schools culture. I follow the school’s netball and rugby blogs. This enables me to see what is going on in the student’s extra curricular ‘lives’ and helps me to support the school community with fundraising events.
I realised after my conversation with Paula that I don’t use networks to their full potential to enhance my professional practice.
What are the established (and different) ways that others use their networks, especially if they are more established or experienced practitioners that you admire?
From looking at other more experienced networkers blogs on the course, many use LinkedIn. I am really interested in this site because it fits what Paula and I discussed with maintaining a professional persona. It is for professional purposes therefore it is for professional people, not for personal use.
I feel I need to ask other members of staff who are more experienced than me, which networks they use and how they make best use of these in their teaching practices, particularly the teachers in the Performing Arts Department. I am particularly interested in local organisations that help with collaborative projects across schools.
Are there methods, approaches and technologies that you use socially that might apply and help you develop your professional networking?
When I was conducting more research into existing networking tools, I found specific Facebook sites for both Drama and Performing Arts teachers. However, I have not used Facebook in my personal life since I began working in education (see task 1b: Professional Communication Technologies – Ethical Considerations, for reasons). For me, it is too much of a risk to create a new Facebook profile in order to use these tools.
I was new to blogging before the course, but this is a form of networking that I find both useful and enjoyable. I have been researching existing blogs for teachers of Drama/Performing Arts because it is logical to use a form of network that I enjoy. I was wondering if any other BAPP students have blogs that they already use and find useful that they would be willing to share?
When you reflect upon current networks, can you think about the motives of others to be in the network and what values and purpose they have in mind?
From the sites that I have recently researched and joined, I feel that the primary purpose of the members is to share best teaching practice within the arts. It is particularly difficult to maintain a high level of priority in the arts because of the lack of funding as well as the lack of attention given to the subject by the current compulsory curriculum. I believe the people on such sites want to raise the profile of the subject as well as the standard of teaching because it is so difficult to inspire youngsters in the arts in the current educational climate.
What would your ideal network look like and why?
My ideal network would be easy to access with an easily to read layout. Ideally, it would make use of user and contributor comments to discuss current issues, and solutions to problems that occur when teaching the arts in schools. It would also be easy to comment on discussions as well as linked these to an email account so updates are not missed.
The most important thing for me is privacy. In my ideal network it would be possible to use privacy settings to avoid students finding which sites you are a member of. There would also be an option for not stating which school you work in so there are no concerns with ethical concerns from employers and no concerns about putting student confidentiality at risk.
What realistic things could you do to work towards developing your ideal network?
I need to do more research into the types on network I am interested in using, to make sure they are suitable for my intended purpose. For example, I could ask the organisers questions about confidentiality via the contact information on their blogs, forums and websites to avoid ethical issues. I also need to conduct some research into privacy settings on networks before joining them. I could also perform a Google search of the website to see how visible it is to the public before making any decisions to join or deciding to join under a different name.
I also would need to ask the school’s permission before joining any networking sites to avoid such ethical issues that I have mentioned above. I would ask my employers advice regarding any website before joining to see if they can provide an alternative site or way of approaching joining a network.
What tools and methods do you need to use? What do you know about your current, and intended networks, and importantly, what do you not know?
Since this task, I have develop my current use of networks by joining specific arts teaching networks because I have discovered that I was not being specific enough with my networking. For example, I have joined the Drama and performing arts community on TES connect. This way I can keep up-to-date with other teachers nationally by sharing resources and ideas to enhance my drama teaching. I feel I need to look around this site more to understand this site fully.
TES Global Ltd (2015) TES Drama and performing arts forum [Internet] Available from: https://community.tes.co.uk/tes_drama_and_performing_arts/f/11.aspx [Accessed on 31 March 2015]

In terms of networks that I intend to use, I want to conduct more research into LinkedIn and the privacy settings on this site. I do not want to disclose the Academy that I work in because I do not want this information affecting my professional persona or indeed compromise my studies on the BAPP. I have done some initial research into this and this is what I have found:
 LinkedIn Corporation (2015) The world’s largest professional network: 300 million strong [Internet] Available from: https://www.linkedin.com/static?key=what_is_linkedin [Accessed on 1 April 2015]
LinkedIn Corporation (2015) About LinkedIn [Internet] Available from: https://press.linkedin.com/about-linkedin [Accessed on 1 April 2015]
I also want to look into Arts Connect West Midlands. This is a local organisation in the Midlands, which is funded by the Arts Council England. It aims to connect schools across the area to enhance arts teaching through collaboration. A whole variety of schools have joined this site and I believe it would offer the opportunity for collaborative projects across the area. A member has to join the site as a school organisation so I would have to ask permission about this site before hand.
I was really daunted by this task at first because I don’t feel that I use networking in my professional life to its full potential. I feel that I am so concerned with ethical considerations, that I am actually limiting the way I use certain tools to my advantage. When speaking to Paula, I realised that a networked professional person is not an unprofessional person. By this I mean that there are tools and websites that allow you to continue your professional development whilst maintaining a ‘professional persona’ that you are happy with.
I aim to conduct further research into the following networking tool and aim to seek permission from the school that I work in:
  • Research and join LinkedIn.
  • Join a local Drama/Performing Arts network.
  • Actively use TES connect Drama and performing arts group.
  • Ask other practitioners which networking sites they use.
  • Keep researching appropriate networking sites - I don’t feel that I will be able to achieve a level of networking that I find appropriate in a short time period.

If any fellow BAPP students could recommend networking sites that they have used, I would be very grateful because, as I have mentioned, this is all new to me. I will continue to look at other student’s blogs as well as seeking experienced practitioners advice about this subject to try and harness the capabilities of these sites to help me in my teaching placement and intended future career.
To be continued…
Reference List
Arts Connect West Midlands (2014) Arts Connect Hub Schools [Internet] Available from: http://www.artsconnectwm.co.uk/programmes.php?id=17 [Accessed on: 30 March 2015]
LinkedIn Corporation (2015) About LinkedIn [Internet] Available from: https://press.linkedin.com/about-linkedin [Accessed on 1 April 2015]
LinkedIn Corporation (2015) The world’s largest professional network: 300 million strong [Internet] Available from: https://www.linkedin.com/static?key=what_is_linkedin [Accessed on 1 April 2015]
TES Global Ltd (2015) TES Drama and performing arts forum [Internet] Available from: https://community.tes.co.uk/tes_drama_and_performing_arts/f/11.aspx [Accessed on 31 March 2015]

3 comments:

  1. Hey Jess,

    Reading your blog was so relevant for me. As someone who is focusing more on her teaching career I need to know where to start with good networks to be a part of. Some of the sites you mentioned such as TES are good place to look at ( I hope you don't mind I mentioned this on my blog). Have you found anything specific on these sites which has been particularly helpful?

    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    Thanks for your comment, Lisa. It is always good to get feedback. Of course, it's not a problem; I exciting to collaborate with each other on the course.

    I really like TES because it is full of excellent resources and lesson ideas. I noticed in your blog how you were finding ways to avoid your lesson plans becoming 'stale'. I know this feeling well! When I am struggling to create a new ways of doing things I will use the search bar to find resources to help me with this (select drop down box - 'Resources'). For example, when trying to approach drama skills with a year 7 group, I found this useful idea of flashcards on body language: https://www.tes.co.uk/teaching-resource/body-language-flash-card-3011664
    I tend to adapt the resources I find to suit my purpose and my group - no group is the same so it is impossible to find the perfect resource. I think my tip for this site would be to use the resources as inspiration and adapt these to fit your purpose perfectly. Please let me know if you find any useful resources?

    Best wishes,

    Jess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've signed up for TES now and for the drama and performing arts forum. So thanks for that tip! I will certainly let you know if I find any good resources. I will be sorting lesson plans for after the next half term soon so I will be able to put the site to good use.
    xx

    ReplyDelete