Since undertaking module 1, there has been
a slight change in my role within my workplace. I have been given the
opportunity to support in and teach dance lessons this academic year. I am also
now heading up the Academic Coaching department within my school. Along with
Reader 4, this has made me consider my lines of professional inquiry from an
alternative viewpoint.
Peter Senge’s views presented in Reader 4
surrounding the Learning Organization made me consider the possibilities of my
inquiry benefitting others in my work place, not simply for my own professional
development.
Senge (1990, p.3) describes “learning organizations”
as, ‘organizations where people continually expand
their capacity to create the results they truly desire, where new and expansive
patterns of thinking are nurtured, where collective aspiration is set free, and
where people are continually learning to see the whole together.’ Furthermore
Senge, 1990, p. 81 states,'Whatever movement occurs is amplified, producing more movement in the same direction. A small action snowballs, with more and more and still more of the same, resembling compound interest'. This theory allowed me
to realise that my own professional inquiry is not simply about my professional
development; my own inquiry could impact the Academy as a whole, if approached
holistically and not solely in a singular subject/discipline.
Another idea that has
influenced my thinking on professional inquiry is Senge’s idea of ‘personal
mastery’ not being ‘black and white’, but 'a continual learning mode... It is a process. It is lifelong discipline. People with a high level of personal mastery are acutely aware of their ignorance, their incompetence, their growth areas' (Senge, 1990, p. 142), Moreover, in the below video Senge outlines the need for risk taking, being both willing and prepared to be 'wrong'. This made me consider if my previous lines of inquiry were too 'safe'. Naturally I am not a risk taker, yet I now believe my new lines of inquiry should 'push the boundaries' of my professional practices.
These ideas from further research have made me consider how I could use my merged role (as an Academic Coach and member of the Performing Arts department) to help me to contribute to the development of my organization as a whole. As an example, literacy is an important agenda in the Academy, so I have tried to develop some ideas about how literacy can be utilised in dance to future the fundamental aims of the institution.
Questions relevant to my practice:
- Do students approach and undertake tasks differently if they are in control of their learning outcomes?
- Is there a link between improving literacy levels with dance lessons?
- Can dance be used to improve literacy levels in low ability students?
- To what effect does a school’s culture have on male participation in performing arts?
- To what extent does parental involvement and support effect male participation in performing arts?
- How does participation in extra curricular Performing arts effect engagement in timetabled lessons? Is this positive or negative?
- What are the factors that contribute to positive engagement for students?
- Do positive male role models within a school (students/staff) effect the level of participation and involvement of male students in timetabled classes?
- Can positive professional relationships in Performing arts be used to improve attitude, engagement and enjoyment of English and Literacy classes?
- Why do students who excel in performing arts sometimes under achieve in other subjects? What are the contributing factors to this?
I plan to discuss and develop these questions with a member of my Academic Coaching department to develop these questions from a literacy point of view. I also plan to discuss these questions with the Head of Dance to try and see if there are any areas within dance that would provide a sound line on inquiry.
Reference List:
Smith, M. K. (2001) 'Per Sence and the learning organization', the encyclopedia of informational education. [http://infed.org/mobi/peter-senge-and-the-learning-organnization/. Retrieved: 24 September 2015
Hi Jessica! Hope you had a lovely summer and are adjusting back into the studying!
ReplyDeleteI am currently working on my task 4a and will blog it up in the next few days, lots and lots of interesting background reading which I am focused on sinking into my brain before I evaluate it! I love the video you found of Senge talking about the introduction of organisation learning. Do you think that all the people you are working alongside, teachers/students etc would agree that once you all have collectively come together to work on a solution, the outcome is more positive than it would be if you had done this alone? I am currently helping assist GCSE and A Level dance students and know already that the teachers find it challenging to educate those who are not so enthusiastic about learning than others may be. So I am interested to see their view on this theory.
Some of your questions which you have outlined here are similar to some that I will ask the teachers who I am helping assist, so I will be sure to take another look at your blog in a few weeks to compare the answers!
Look forward to catching up via blogs in the coming weeks!
Steph
Hi Steph,
DeleteThanks for you comment. It is hard getting back into study, so it's good to get feedback! I hope you're getting on ok?
I have noticed whilst observing lessons in my school that the majority of students, from all Key Stages and year groups, love dance, especially the boys. I thought it might be interesting to carry out an inquiry about what the contributing factors are. This way, I can use this research to help me when I am (hopefully) a qualified teacher, as it is something that many teachers struggle with.
Yes, I think my colleagues would agree that working together would result in a more positive outcome. In some of my questions I have tried to think about how I can used my merged role in Literacy and Performing Arts to benefit everyone in the organisation. Do you think any of these relating questions would be good lines of inquiry? I am not sure I would find much research on this either.
Let me know when you're blog is up and I will have a look at your questions. It seems we're on a similar path, so when I've created my SIG I would like you to join (and vice versa).
Look forward to hearing from you soon,
Jess.
Hi Jess
DeleteYes i totally agree with you, everyone taking part in the classes just love it and I feel that is particularly down to the teachers engagement with the students. I think your research into contributing factors will be a wonderful insight into teaching and especially as your professional practise relates to this!
Question 9 - 'Can positive professional relationships in Performing arts be used to improve attitude, engagement and enjoyment of English and Literacy classes?' i think is a starting point for your development as you are combining your two interests and opening up areas which may not have been focused on before. Broader knowledge into a subject field such as english lit and performing arts and how they can combine interests me and I'm sure you will fine an interesting bunch of research to back yourself.
Yes the SIG sounds fantastic I look forward to joining yours and you joining mine! Have a lovely weekend and hear from you soon!
S
Thanks, Steph. I have been doing some work on my questions today through further research into social research from Reader 4. From this I feel the questions you have identified are particularly important for my future career - combining both aspects of my job.
DeleteI really appreciate your feedback on which of these questions would be helpful for you as a dance teacher. It is difficult deciding which path to go down at this stage.
Thanks again,
Jess.
Hi Jessica,
ReplyDeleteInteresting questions for possible inquiry. I was looking before in module one at 'immediacy' skills in teaching and there's an interesting piece of research all about performing arts training given to trainee teachers, have a look!
I think it would be useful to see if there's much research into performing arts l
sessions having an negative/positive effect on timetabled academic lessons. It's something I would like to look into as well, because at the moment I teach at a private dance studio but in future would like to move into dance in education.
Hi Catherine,
DeleteThanks for your comment; it's always good to get feedback. That reading sounds really interesting. Would you be able to send me the link or website for that?
Yes, I feel that my next stage would be find some literature on these topics, as I am finding it hard to narrow down. Are there any lines of inquiry above that you would find useful as an aspiring dance teacher in main stream education? This might help me choose an inquiry more easily.
Many thanks,
Jess.