Wednesday, 18 May 2016

Summary of Learning Experience

Having completed my Oral Presentation on Monday, I can’t believe that I am now writing this summary of my learning experience. The journey has been long, tough and definitely challenging! However, when to look back to when I began the RoL module, I am surprised about how much my practices have changed as a result of the BAPP Arts course.

I was dubious and apprehensive about what I would gain from the course, which was only intensified by my lack of understanding of how networking was used by teachers. Although I questioned my work in Module 1, looking back I understand that I built the foundations of how to network, reflect and use theoretical knowledge in relation to my practice. I think that the most vital aspect of Module 2, was gaining an understanding of how to carry out an inquiry that would be useful to my practices, whilst still complying with ethical standards. As a result, I now feel that I have developed a strong online portfolio that demonstrates my learning across all modules. I can definitely say that my digital literacy has improved and I am proud to have such an extensive portfolio of work.

The course has been a voyage of discovery for me. Importantly, BAPP Arts has really challenged my conceptions about what makes effective ‘learning’. I have discovered that there are no tick boxes, no straightforward paths from A to B and definitely no ‘answers’. I now realise that learning is as much about the process as the conclusions. I have now established that learning is about a shift in focus or a change of perception, particularly through my inquiry process in Module 3.

I feel immense pride at all I have achieved, but particularly the portfolio of work I have produced in Module 3 including my artefact and presentation. I have learnt not only the skills needed to carry out an inquiry successfully, but the skills needed to complete a degree and work full time simultaneous; I feel that this has prepared me well for the inevitably busy PGCE year!


(BAPP Arts Artefact for Module 3 Middlesex University)

Through the course, I feel I have gained the skills to continue my professional development throughout my teaching career. I have learnt a great deal about ‘engagement’ as a fundamental aspect of teaching and I can’t wait to build on this knowledge in my future practices.

Yet, if I could go back in time, I would give myself some advice: don’t get caught up in finding the answers and make everything relevant to you and your professional practices. For any other BAPP Arts peers about to embark on Module 3, my advice would be to make sure you are absolutely clear about your inquiry questions, the details in the wording matter. Also use the community on the course at all opportunities, through SIGs, online sessions, email and Skype, the more input the better!


I would like to say a huge thank you to the tutors and my peers (especially Paula, Lisa and Lara), as I honestly do not think I could have completed the course without their ideas, feedback and support.

3 comments:

  1. Jess, what a great summary of your experience! I also thoroughly enjoying watching your Artefact, it's fantastic and looks like it really brought all of your learning together in a concise manner. It also looked very fun to create and I like that you feature in it, it links it more to you as a person.
    In regards to your reflection, I can relate very well to your point about making sure to be clear about the inquiry questions, I felt the same and think it's very valuable advice for future students. Now I hope you have a lovely weekend ahead and I look forward to celebrating with you at Graduation :)
    Best,
    Lara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments, Lara. I'm looking forward to finally meeting you in person at Graduation!

      Jess

      Delete
  2. Thanks Jess!! see you at Graduation!

    ReplyDelete