Over
the last week I have been continuously searching for literature (both
Arts-based research books and literature that directly links to my inquiry). As
I have discussed in other blog posts, I have found it difficult to establish
links and ‘logical orders’ of and between individual articles, books, videos
and documents.
As
a result I created a spider diagram using the individual literature I had
reviewed for my inquiry question, ‘what are the teaching approaches that
contribute to classroom engagement?’. Here I have used the Author and year as
the ‘title’ and bullet pointed their main arguments underneath (based on the
research ideas of Blaxter, Hughes and Tight (2001) Blog Link). I have sorted each text into a category, using colour
but also shown where there are links and comparisons between the literature
too. I found that this process helped me to understand the literature and just
how many similarities there were between these pieces of research.
I
have taken the advice of the BAPP students from the online session and
researched the reasons why students engage in drama. I have found this a
difficult process because I haven’t discovered any sources that directly
research why students engage in drama. For me, this confirms my believe that my
own assumptions that students engage more in drama compared to English was in
fact just that ‘an assumption’. However, there are links in the literature to
the topics that we discussed in the group Skype and reasons, which could suggest
why drama can be used as an engagement approach. I then remembered the work we
did in Task 5b: Ethics from Professional Sources on reviewing policies in our place of work. Therefore, I
researched documents from the Gov. website created by OFSTED in addition to the
Arts Council England Report for Drama in Schools. Again I have ‘mapped’ my
ideas using a spider diagram.
Today,
however, I found a really exciting ebook for my inquiry by Christenson, Reschly and Wylie (2012) ‘Handbook of Research on Student Engagement’. This book consists of
35 chapters by different authors all specialising in a variety of engagement
topics. Reviewing this book and its individual chapters in detail has enabled
me to ‘place’ my review in a broader context. I now understand in more detail
the main theories of engagement, the main debates around the topic and the key
authors in this topic area. It also allowed me to understand where my pervious
research on teaching approaches (above) fit into the context of the current
discussions.
Although this blog doesn’t contain
in depth analysis of the research and theories I have discovered, I found that
explaining this process was an important part of my inquiry. I have found that
many of the theories presented have challenged my thinking. In particular, many
of the texts and videos discuss the ‘pressures’ and ‘reality’ of teaching and
how this impacts on teachers approached in their lessons. This is something
that I would like to explore in more detail in my interviews. Although, I need
to establish how I can do this ethically in a none-bias way.
I am hoping to write my literature
review over the coming days and hope to post sections of this on my blog and
SIG.
Reference List
Blaxter,
L. Hughes, C. and Tight, M. (2001) How to Research (Second Edition),
Buckingham: Open University Press.
Christenson, S. L., Reschly A. L. and
Wylie, C. (2012) Handbook
of Research on Student Engagement London: Springer




Thanks Jess it is great to see this work.
ReplyDeleteHi Jess,
ReplyDeleteJudging from your photos and summary here, your ideas for your literature review seem to become very coherent! What a great post.
When looking at your main theories on teaching approaches, I picked up on the point of teachers being particularly engaging ('positivity and enthousiasm of teachers') on your spreadsheet. You might have already looked into it, but I would be particularly curious to what extent drama teachers fall within a certain 'personality type' that might foster engagement and motivate students. I remember school subjects (English, Fine Arts, Biology) where I had fantastic teachers (that could classify as 'actory' personalities) and consequently engaged a lot. I found this source, in which a study interestingly places the teacher's personality at the core of identification and engagement (rather than the students): http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/13569780902868911
I hope this is beneficial.
Best,
Lara
Hi Lara,
ReplyDeleteThank you for your helpful comments. I think out conversation a few weeks ago is what inspired me to do this.
Yes, I have been writing up sections of my literature review today which discusses the importance of structure and support in engaging students in lessons. Sometimes, teachers confuse structure with control, which is a very different thing. One of the reasons why this can happen can be because of the teachers' personality. Another aspect I have written up today is the idea of 'relatedness' and teacher-student-relationships; so when students believe that teachers support them and are interested in them as people, students tend to engage more. Like you say, teacher's personality plays an important part!
Thank you for these comments. How is your own literature review going?
Jess.