Wednesday, 9 March 2016

Skype Chat on 8th March with Lisa and Lara

Lisa, Lara and myself decided to arrange a Skype chat to discuss our how our inquiries were going and to ask a few questions to help us develop our inquiries. Last night, we had our Skype chat and discussed the literature review, interviews and artefacts and this was a really valuable talk for me.

Lisa's inquiry if focusing on drama exams and testing
Lara's inquiry topic is German Theatre in London
My inquiry is about 'engagement' in Drama and English

Both Lisa and Lara have written their reflections on this conversation too.
Literature Review
We discussed that the literature review can sometimes feel a little disjointed. I am feeling like I have looked at a wide variety of sources but I am finding it hard to link these ideas together because I often gain inspiration for new reading from bibliographies of articles and books that I am reading. We all felt that you end up looking at literature that you didn’t think would directly link to your inquiry.
We also discussed the idea that the literature review should be critical and that it should ensure that you make comment on the literature you have read. Lara said that she wasn’t sure how critical you could be as a BA students on a published paper. Lisa then talked about the fact that you could still say how the paper is relevant to your inquiry but the critical thinking comes from identifying the limitations in the paper. For me this was really important because I have found that although my topic is engagement I have found myself looking at books and articles on effective teaching and learning as the arguments in the literature identify that these two topics are inextricable. I feel I need to make more of the connections any possibly do further research so I am able to defend my reasons for including these articles in my literature review
ACTION POINT: Start to identify links between the literature I have reviewed and identify similarities and differences between theories and arguments
ACTION POINT: Ensure I discuss the main arguments in the literature and comment on my opinion
Interviews
Lara discussed her concerns that she wanted to make sure she was prepared as possible for her interviews, as the opportunity to interview will only arrive once and she wants to ensure she gatherers sufficient data; however at the same time completing the interviews in the inquiry time. We discussed the idea that we found the interview questions had changed slightly since our inquiry plans because of the influence of literature. Lara also discussed the length of the interview and how long this should be. I thought it was a fine line between finding all the information you need and giving the interviewee too much information and unintentionally letting your bias and opinions from the literature guide them towards a specific answer.
In my own inquiry, I have found that much of the literature argues that teachers do want to plan engaging, creative lessons, but are unable to do this due to constraints and pressures in the curriculum and assessment. I plan to carry out my first interviews next week, so I want to make sure I am able find out information about if or how their planning is influenced and effected by constraints (as this seems to be very significant argument in the literature) without letting my research and ideas influencing the questions so they become bias.
ACTION POINT: Discuss my questions and new inquiry ideas in my tutorial with Paula on Thursday
ACTION POINT: Post my proposed altered interview questions on my blog and SIG for feedback from BAPP students
Artefact
We each discussed our initial ideas for our artefacts and how these would work in practice – especially in the time constraints. We all expressed concerns that our artefacts wouldn’t meet the assessment criteria and what the true purpose of the artefact was. I said that Paula described it as a way of communicating your ideas to a professional audience in a creative way.
We also were concerned with underestimating the amount of time creating an artefact would take, finding that there must be a balance between your creative ideas and intentions and what technology, resources and time are actually available to you. I have been speaking to my colleagues at work about the ideas for my artefact and one member of staff said that it would be a good idea to ‘trial’ the artefact first to see if the ideas would work in practice.
ACTION POINT: Spend time thinking of a concept for a ‘trial’ artefact and preparing a sample foe this
ACTION POINT: Arrange a time with my colleague to create a ‘trail’ of this and reflect upon this process
Reflection
I found our discussion helped me to voice my concerns and consider the problems I have experienced with Lara and Lisa in a supportive environment. We all shared feelings of anxiety and stress over completing so many different elements alongside a full time job. It also gave me the opportunity to reflect and create ‘ACTION POINTS’ to move my inquiry forward. I am lucky to have the opportunity to discuss these with Paula on Thursday also.
In the meantime I will keep following these important steps: continue to carry out my observations; continue literature reviews, particularly solidifying the links between and across literature; blog and post about my inquiry questions; continue my discussions with colleagues about my artefact; keep compartmentalising and using my Gantt chart to organise my time effectively.

Thanks for all your help Lara and Lisa!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Jess,

    It was great speaking with you and Lisa last night. Thank you for your posting your reflective summary, I really feel we all benefitted from sharing our progress, concerns and planning our actions for the next few weeks. I've just published my reflection on our discussion and linked your blog in it. I find the idea of trialling your artefact very good, let me know how you get on.
    I look forward to our next conversation after having conducted our interviews.
    Best,
    Lara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lara. Yes I feel it was beneficial for all of us. I hope you're getting on ok with your research for your interview questions. I am hoping to take a look at them in a bit on your blog post in more detail tonight to help you with this.

      Thanks again,

      Jess.

      Delete
  2. Thanks Jess - peer conversations are useful - I had one with colleagues today and it was useful to highlight a few things that I had not been thinking about. We had a chance to speak tonight - and I suggested that with some aspects of the inquiry - you were in the Mason's (2002) messy stage - which is a legitimate place to be for qualitative research. As engagement might be 'perceived' engagement for tutors and professional engagement (so learning and teaching two-way interaction) you are still perhaps focusing some of your work - so tweak main questions and use those for your interview questions. Your observations sounded genuine - as in - not what you expected... you will have plenty of time for analysis after your interviews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Paula. Yes and I have taken your advice about recording 'professional conversations' with relations in my Learning Journal - a useful part of the inquiry process.

      I agree that I am in the 'messy' stage on my inquiry; I am going to spend some time over the next couple of days focusing my inquiry questions and, as a result, my interview questions. I am going to utilise the idea of 'professionals perceived idea of engagement' in my inquiry questions. I think that this process will involve a lot of reflection and may not happen instantly, but it is a process that I believe is vital to give my inquiry focus.

      Yes, my observations continue to surprise me and it is a process that I am finding very interesting. I have been sharing these ideas with Tom in his SIG and in my Learning Journal.

      Thank you for your ideas and help with this process. Although I am in a 'messy' stage, I have learnt from the BAPP Arts course to accept that this is part of the process and that I am not necessarily in a negative place. I will write a more detailed post about our tutorial later today.

      Thanks again,
      Jess.

      Delete