Below is an adapted and shorted evaluation of my observation and interview inquiry tools. I learnt a great deal from the whole inquiry process, not solely through the data analysis and findings. I found that great skill, sensitivity and organisation is needed by the insider researcher to carry out an inquiry successfully...
Observations
I used semi-structured observation forms to record qualitative data as both a participant observer and
a none-participant observer. I recorded the class information
at the top of each observation form including the class name, lesson period and
data. Throughout the observation I recorded the type of task and name of the
tasks in addition to the starting and ending time of each tasks.
As requested by the ethics board, I needed to make some adjustments to my
observation consent, . It was decided that I
would need to send a letter home to parents outlining my inquiry aims, objectives
and why I was wishing to observe a class before
starting any official observations. This process took far
more organisation and time than I first anticipated, however upon reflection I
felt that it was an important stage in my inquiry to comply with ethical
standards, simultaneously increasing my awareness of the potential harm caused
to students if my inquiry was not carried out properly.
I used reflection-in-action (Schon, 1987) to record events during observations. However,
as a participant observer in English lessons, I found recording the information
whilst carrying out my duties a challenging process. I found at times that I
was unable to record information immediately as I had been directed to work
with a groups. Although unavoidable
in my every day practices, ideally if I were to repeat the observation tool, I
would try to have less involvement in the lessons, to ensure that I was able to
observe teaching approaches more thoroughly.
I made use my
Learning Journal to record my reflections after each observation
using reflection-on-action (Schon, 1987) Within a busy working day, I often found that I was moving from
one observation to the next, proving me with little time to reflect upon
important events. I had to adapt the way I used my Learning Journal
as an inquiry tool to ensure that this process did not interfere with my professional responsibilities. I referred back to the reflective journal work in Module 1
and found that I had identified that ‘listing’ reflections aided my reflections
when I had little time to write a full reflection (http://jessicaplant.blogspot.co.uk/2015/03/task-2b-reflective-writing.html), therefore I utilised this form of reflection and later develop these in more extensive written
passages at a more convenient time. After discussion with my SIG, if completing this process again, I would
ensure that my Learning Journal was more structured from the start of my
inquiry.
I found that time was a
significant constraint within my inquiry observations. I had substantially
underestimated the amount of time needed to complete administrative tasks such
as sending email confirmations and returning of consent forms, and found I had
to update my Gantt chart considerably.
I realised that I had not considered the limitations of the short school term
and the addition of an exam week where students were taken off timetable for
one week, effectively limiting my viable observation period.
I
believe that the semi-structured observations were an effective inquiry tool
because they allowed me to identify teaching approaches that were adopted by
Drama and English specialists to engage students in their work. Using a
semi-structured style allowed me to adapt my observation technique to
incorporate events that I believed were of value . Furthermore, it enabled me to explore whether the approaches
identified in the literature had any correlations in a real life context. I was surprised to note that
the formal observations forced me to examine and reflect upon situations and
explore their meaning and context that I otherwise would not have considered
within my normal practices.
Interviews
I carried out four semi-structured interviews with teaching staff. I wanted the interviews to provide me with
practitioners’ opinions of the teaching approaches that they adopt to engage
students in their subjects to explore whether their opinions correlated with my
observation data and literature findings.
I found devising questions challenging and my planned questions
from Module 2 evolved greatly as I
prepared for the inquiry interviews. The literature review process had made me realise
that curriculum context and planning have an impact on classroom engagement. I wanted to explore these aspects in more
detail within my workplace through in my interview questions, as I believed
these topics would become important in ‘placing’ my inquiry context. Using feedback from my existing network of BAPP Arts peers academic
advisor, I altered the inquiry questions again, ensuring that I would gain the
appropriate data to answer my inquiry questions, without any bias. I asked the participants a maximum of
nineteen questions centering around the topics of: engagement definitions;
teaching approaches and tasks to engage; disengagement; planning and external
factors in planning to engage; curriculum links between Drama and English in
the curriculum and within the Academy.
Having reflected upon the effectiveness of my Learning Journal in
recording my observation reflections, I ensured that I used my Learning Journal
much more stringently through the interview stage.
If I were to repeat this process, I would improve my interviewing
technique. When transcribing my interviews at a later inquiry stage, I found
that I would question the participants’ answers when listening, but I did not
do this in the actual interview. I believe that remaining unbiased overly
concerned me and that I believed questioning an answer would be seen as
leading. Furthermore due to my weak aural skills, I found it
difficult to listen to participants’ answers, follow their train of thought and
use reflection simultaneously
and found that I would ask questions that participants had already answered inadvertently. In this case I would become disconcerted
and I now recognise that I should have taken time to reflect upon answers
during the interviews and pause where necessary to gather my thoughts, asking
participants to expand on certain points that interested me.
I feel that a semi-structured
interview was effective as it allowed me to probe further to explore
interesting elements of each interview, particularly the approaches staff use
to engage students. I found that this type of
interview allowed me to rephrase questions to ensure I received data that
related to my inquiry questions. I was able to obtain a real
variety of information that allowed me to make comparisons and contrasts both
between the interviewees and the literature.
Hi Jess,
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing this. I think you explain well the stages that each of your tools went through. Which tool do you think was the most effective? In hindsight would you have used any other tools (you do mention how you might alter the ones you did use)?
I am working on my evaluation of inquiry tools at the moment. I am about half way through my draft - having gotten most of my analysis written down first. I am finding that I have a lot of information everywhere. Every note that I look at or persons blog that I read reminds me of something else that I could put in. I think I am finding it hard to keep my review focused on the inquiry questions. Are you finding the same?
Lisa xxx
Hi Lisa,
ReplyDeleteI believe that each tool was effective for different reasons. The interviews allowed me to explore the definition of engagement and aspects of planning that I wouldn't have been able to find solely from observations. However, I was able to see the 'practical' aspects of engaging teaching from observations, discovering that task variety and timings are important in both Drama and English.
In my Critical Review, I have discussed the idea that I would have liked to have followed up the individual interviews with a focus group. There were many similarities between the participants views on things such as teacher-student-relationships and the links between Drama and English. I didn't want to overload my post with information.
Yes, I have completed my first draft (with the exception of my critical reflection). I am worried that my critical review is not clear enough. I have tried, where possible to link back to my inquiry question throughout, however I think I am struggling to show where this has directly impacted upon my practices because I believe much of it will have more of a bearing on the work I will undertake next year.
I am really struggling to keep to the word count, especially in the data analysis section. It feels like all the findings are so important that I would like to include all of the analysis that I have completed. Ultimately, I will have to cut this down by using appendices.
I think it's finding the right balance between enough content and enough detail.
Jess