Through
the online session I grasped the concept that the BAPP blog should be a
professional blog. Yet, the online Skype session for Module 1 provided some
different avenues of thought in terms of, ‘What is a professional or
professionalism?’ Defining a professional was something that we all found very
problematic. Yet in the discussion, the group posed the following ideas about
what makes a professional: courtesy, professional etiquette, people perceive
that you are good at what you do and discipline.
What is a Professional?
Lester (2010)
states that a professional, ‘makes proficient use of expert or specialist
knowledge, exercises autonomous thought and judgement, and makes a voluntary
commitment to a set of principles. Such a person need not be a member of an
easily-defined profession or of a professional association’ (p.2).
I found
the Lester (2010) paradigms of
professions and professionality in Model A the traditional professional and Model B the
new professional very thought provoking. In particular, the differences shown
in the two models in profession, professionalism, professional standards and
professional development. I firmly believe that in my current role, Model A is
best fitting for my job. For example, the profession is an externally defined
role; the professionalism has codes of practice; the employer defines
professional standards; and professional development is centred on sustaining
competence and renewing knowledge (Lester, 2010). This ‘traditional’
professional is used in the teaching profession because a governing body
controls it and these are standards that I believe in and abide by every
working day.
Yet, interestingly, Model B (the ‘new’ professional) sees attributes
such as: professionals creating a portfolio of meaningful activities individual
to each practitioner; professionalism created on shared expectations;
professional standards are negotiated in accordance to values or beliefs; and
professional development is an on going learning process built on reflective
practice and continuous questioning and improvement. These principles, in my
opinion, apply more to the BAPP course. This course will develop me
professionally though the reflective aspect of the course that asks for
continuous questioning and thought to improve ideas and posts. Furthermore, as
students, we have shared expectations of the course that we will comply with
when commenting and discussing our work by following ‘netiquette’. I was
concerned about how to use a Web 2.0 and blogging professionally (and, as I
mentioned in my previous post, how to present myself as a professional)
however, professional Model B, suggests being a professional is not just
defined by one traditional set of expectations and rules.
I hope to combine the aspects of Model A (through my work place) and Model B (through my blog and study). I want to make sure I am professional in my workplace by following what is expected of me from Model A. However, I am excited about this new professionalism I will encounter in the BAPP blog because it will let me use all categorised types of Model A and B to become a better learner and developing professional.
Reference List:
Lester, S. (2010) On
professions and being professional. [Internet] Available from: http://www.sld.demon.co.uk/profnal.pdf.
[Accessed on 26 February 2015]

No comments:
Post a Comment