Friday, 27 February 2015

Task 1b: Professional Communication Technologies - Developing Thoughts

Using Web 2.0 for learning?

The idea of using Web 2.0 as a form of online learning is still a very contentious debate. Many believe it offers a wealth of opportunities to develop skills that are required in our work environment as it becomes more technology-dependent. However, some believe that it can never replace the traditional university learning and education (Coleman, 2014). I then began thinking about the potential of using Web 2.0 in compulsory education classrooms and not just for Higher Education.
‘It may not be the tool itself that defines Web 2.0, but how it is used to support teaching’ (Light & Keisch Polin, 2010, p. 30)

Light & Keisch Polin (2010) suggest that, in America, using Web 2.0 in schools would be beneficial for both staff and students in the classroom. I was familiar with the concept that social networking sites enhance a school’s culture, as we already use them at my school for various sporting clubs in order to keep both parents and students up-to-date with club achievements and fixtures. Yet I had never previously considered using a blog for educational purposes in classrooms and not purely for extra-curricular commitments.
Blogs could be created for individual subjects or classes, providing a space where teachers can build discussions for learning as part of homework tasks or introductions to new subject topic areas. They could also be used for individual project work, where a student creates a blog and documents their findings and thoughts through posts. Furthermore, piers can comment and discuss the work they have produced, engaging in proactive ‘prosumer’ conversations, resulting in blogs adding to their reflective learning skills.
Since the online module discussion, this further research has led me to a break through moment: professionals can use blogs for a professional purpose. Believing this, why should the potential benefits of learning with Web 2.0 tools be ignored in compulsory education? If monitored properly with precautions in place, these technologies can be used by students to enhance their learning, whilst at the same time giving them the opportunity to become highly skilled in Web 2.0 tools, equipping them with the necessary skills needed for their possible future studies and career prospects. Studying with blogs and other Web 2.0 sites, which I am embarking on myself, is something I would like to investigate in a classroom situation when I am a qualified teacher in a fully controlled and monitored environment.
Both the references I have included are very intriguing; I would recommend the read.
Reference List:
Coleman, N. (2014) thegaurdian Higher Education Network Blog: Online Learning: the UK’s scepticism is holding back [Internet] Available from: http://www.theguardian.com/higher-education-network/blog/2014/sep/07/online-learning-uk-scepticism-holding-it-back [Accessed on 26 February 2015]

Light, D. & Keisch Polin, D. (2010) EDC Centre for Children and Technology. Integrating Web 2.0 tools into the classroom: Changing the culture of learning. New York: dlight@edc.org. Available from:http://cct.edc.org/sites/cct.edc.org/files/publications/Integrating%20Web2.0.PDF 

2 comments:

  1. Great - yes - it is the future but to work with technology enhanced learning we need to understand it and used it responsibly form communication - the netiquette idea and providing privacy where and when needed. I like your sources and what they represent in terms of the debate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Paula. Especially in a school context, this type of study would have to be managed properly. Students would need preparation about safety and privacy setting before embarking on any Web 2.0 learning. I agree that this topic offers an interesting debate though.

      Jess.

      Delete