Saturday, 21 February 2015

Task 1A - Professional Profile

When at first trying to tackle this task, I found it very challenging! As many of my fellow BAPP students have stated, it is difficult to create just one CV because the CV you use depends on the job it is intended for. For me personally, it is not just the issue of adapting a CV for different professional performing auditions, but the fact that a professional CV would not be at all appropriate for my current role working within education. Therefore, if I didn’t even have an appropriate CV to work with, how could I create an online professional profile?

As I got injured during my second year of training, I missed out on many vital training opportunities and I can no longer work as a professional dancer due to my hip injuries. My professional performing CV is embarrassingly sparse compared to so many others undertaking this course. This was another problem I faced, much like fellow student Michelle. How could I create a professional profile when I have had so little experience?

However, I realised that the opportunity to create a professional profile gave me the freedom to present myself in a way that really incorporated all aspects of my training and career. I feel it is a constant struggle in my existing line of work to combine my background in the arts and my current and future intended career in education.


Professional Profile:

My name is Jessica Plant and I am 22 years of age. After gaining 11 excellent GCSEs all A*-C grade, I decided to continue my education but undertake a course that would improve my skills in performing. I attended Kidderminster College where I achieved a Triple Distinction BTEC National Diploma in Musical Theatre.

I then attended London Studio Centre, studying a BA(hons) in Theatre dance between 2011 and 2013. During that time, I undertook training in Ballet, Jazz, Contemporary, Tap, Lyrical jazz, Singing, Acting, Partnering and Lindy Hop. I also performed in the Dance Overture show in two pieces where I was an ensemble dancer/singer. I gained a Certificate of Higher Education from my studies.

In my second year, I was forced to differ my studies due to on-going hip injuries. I planned to differ for a year and return to my studies to complete my training and degree. However, I then underwent two operations on my hips and intensive physiotherapy. After much perseverance and deliberation, the decision was made that it would not be possible to return to my studies or work as a professional dancer in the industry.

I began working in an Academy as an Academic Coach from 2013 to present, specialising in English GCSE. I have worked in this role for nearly two academic years. I have also taught Drama to a Year 7 group of 26 students during the Winter Term of 2014.

I am currently undertaking a BA(hons) in Professional Practice (Arts) with Middlesex University. Following this, I wish to complete my teacher training and pursue a career in teaching the arts within a secondary school.

My personal attributes include many sporting and arts related skills/interests that allow me to utilise my theatre training to contribute to many extra curricular activities that engage a variety of students. My diverse education and specialised training show that I am committed, hard working, persevering and have good time management, all skills that I use in my current work place and academic study.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jess,

    I enjoyed your blog. I can relate to what you were saying about not feeling like your CV is very full compared to some others. However, I think in your profile you talked about some good projects you've been involved in.

    I'm sorry to hear about your injury but it looks like you haven't let it hold you back. It must have been hard to have to rethink your career path. That shows strength!!

    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Lisa,

      Thanks for your comment. I really struggles with this task so it's good to get some feedback.

      Thanks you; it was very difficult at the time but I feel I have gained many skills from managing an injury and having to change my carer path. I have accepted that some things you can't control but being positive is the most important thing to get the most from a situation.

      Thanks,

      Jess.

      Delete