Last night Catherine, Jodi and myself
attended the online session with Adesola. We discussed the different forms that
needed completing for Module 2, but we also asked and discussed other questions
we had about the Module at this stage.
Ethics From - Focus Groups
I asked Adesola how to fill out consent
section on the ethics form, giving the example of a focus group with the students
that I was planning to use as part of my inquiry. Adesola then questioned how
valid the information is that given by students from focus groups. She said
that this information might be influenced by their friendship groups by saying
the things just to ‘fit in’, and also that they could not want to express their
true opinions to me because they believe this might have repercussions for them
– for example if they say something negative, they could believe that I will
treat them differently for this. Therefore, the information they give is not
really an honest opinion. As a result, a focus group will not be
representational of student opinion over a relatively short period of time in
the 12 week study because they are not used to focus groups. Furthermore, Adesola
said that there is a ‘minefield of
stuff’ with focus groups and this really stood out for me. She then explained
that even the selection process is full of complications, as students may think
they are not liked or valued if they are not chosen to take part, which could
affect your working relationships with them.
Jodi, has had a similar discussion in a
one-to-one tutorial and she said that the main things she took from the
discussion was that students are not part of your world or inquiry so you shouldn’t
involve them as this may cause them more harm than you realise (particularly if
they think something they have said will be reported back to school or
teachers).
For me this was a complete change in
thinking. Through my research and work up until this point I believed it was
really important to get students voice about my subject of engagement. I
believed that to truly understand what engages students, you need to have the
students’ opinions. However, Adesola and Jodi have made me realise the ethical
considerations and the validity of information may outweigh the benefits of
this process. I will need to now look back at my inquiry and re address this.
Interviews and Inquiry Plan
We discussed that it is important not to go
into too much detail about the interview process in the inquiry plan because it
is then too controlling. It is more important to discuss the reasoning and
theory behind the choice of interview style and selection as a methodology
tool. The details and when, where and how are less important than what is
actually going to be asked. It is also more important to discuss why you have
chosen to interview those particular people.
Feelings about Module 2
I said how I was feeling a bit overwhelmed
and confused with my work at the moment, feeling like there are so many
different elements (ethics, methodology, literature) that I am not sure how to
bring them all together. Adesola said that it is ok to feel overwhelmed and it
is probably a good place to be in. She also noted that when you are in that
state of confusion, it is easier to be more aware of what need to know and what
you haven’t done.
For me this has been really helpful. I have
reflected on what has been said and I have now realised that I need to do the
following things to help me move towards ‘tying all the treads together’:
- Define ‘engagement’ in education to make - Look back at the literature. Don’t invent a term but do some wider reading to see what has already been said. I need to find out more detail about this to have a solid foundation for my inquiry. This will take time but it is an important step.
- What are my inquiry aims? - After tonight, I now need to address the issues with focus groups and student voice. After I have looked at the literature, I need to be completely specific about what I intend to find out in my inquiry and why I want to find this out, as I feel this is still a bit ‘wooly’. The literature will help me do this.
This was a really helpful session tonight
and I want to thank Catherine, Jodi and Adesola for giving me some really
important ‘food for thought’ for my inquiry.

Thanks Jess!! I missed the online session because of work so this is helpful. I'm just taking notes from others blogs to see what they have been learning about how to go about starting the proposal.
ReplyDelete