Tuesday, 3 November 2015

Task 5d: Ethical Dimensions of my Proposed Inquiry

Although I have posted on my SIG to discuss the ethical dimensions of my inquiry, I thought it was important to post on my blog also, in order to make the best use of my BAPP network to inform the ethical considerations within my proposed inquiry.
After my research and thoughts in Tasks 5a, 5b and 5c and the discussions I have had with other BAPP students via the blogs and online sessions, the following ethical issues have surfaced within my proposed inquiry within my workplace.
How do I record events from a lesson observation? Should I write with objectively (using Descriptive Ethics) or subjectively (using Normative Ethics)?
I am still unsure how I would record a lesson observation. I am interested in engagement within Performing Arts and Literacy, so I would like to conduct some observations to form part of my inquiry. I would like to see what sort of things engage students, how a students engagement fluctuations throughout lessons and what the reasons may be why a student is off task. However, deciding whether a student is off task is subjective, it is a matter of opinion, therefore I can never be fully objective during an observation. This could possible result in a bias inquiry.

Should I use overt or covert observations in my inquiry?
It has been made evident through my research into ethics, that permission needs to be given by gatekeepers and teaching staff before observing in a lesson. It is also clear that students and parents need to be fully aware of everything that is taking place within an inquiry and that they are part of an inquiry. Written consent needs to be given. However, if observations are part of the inquiry, does students need to be aware that an observation is taking place? As an example, if I were observing a lesson to see how many times a student is ‘off-task’ or ‘disengaged’, would a student act differently if they knew they were being observed? There is potential that a student will try harder to be more engaged if they know they are being observed. There is also potential of the opposite happening and students will try to be disengaged.

How should I deal with ‘bad behaviour’ in my inquiry?
I would like to be able to understand why students engage in subjects from their point of view. To do this, I would like to interview students to try and understand why they like or dislike Performing Arts and Literacy. I want students to be able to express their views openly and honestly within my inquiry, but what if this compromises the behaviour policy of the school that I researched as part of the ethics section of this Module? For example, if a student says something that is disrespectful or rude about a member or staff or students in their class during an interview when expressing an opinion, how should I deal with this? Within my normal working day, I would absolutely ensure the student understood this was not acceptable behaviour and they did not do this again. However if a negative working relationship, between a member of staff or peer, is the reasons that they do not like a subject, I can’t not include this in my inquiry.

In this situation like this, I feel that I would remind the student that that kind of behaviour is not tolerated within the school and give them the opportunity to think about what they have said and give them a chance to rephrase what they have said to give their opinion honestly, but without being disrespectful.

How will I outline the aims of my inquiry and what it involves clearly to both parents and students? How will I make it clear and easy for students to withdraw at any time?
Since researching Oliver (2010) and Nolan & Putten (2007) in Task 5c, I now understand that it is vital that both parents and students understand the inquiry fully before participating and giving consent. I thought of writing letters to the parents/carers of students who are directly involved in the inquiry to gain written permission. In this letter I want to outline my inquiry aims clear. I also feel that putting my contact information on the letter advising parents/carers to contact me if they have any queries would be best practice. I have considered holding a meeting for parents/carers, but I don’t know if this is unnecessary or even too impractical to carry within the twelve-week inquiry time? I also want to make it clear that students can withdraw at ant time and putting this is language that is appropriate to their age and ability is crucial. However, I do not want students to feel intimidated about withdrawing. Would it be feasible to have another member of staff within the Academy that the students could ask to be withdrawn from the inquiry?


When considering my inquiry, I feel that I am still unsure how of how I would solve these potential ethical issues that may arise within my inquiry. I would very much appreciate opinions and discussions on any of the points I have raised.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jess,

    In your first point about how you would observe your lesson, would you also think of maybe interviewing individuals before a class practical observation. This way you may be able to link a few personal profiles to how they may or may not be engaging.
    Bad behaviour is also an area in which I am stuck on, as you never know what may happen on the day. I suppose the element of trust becomes apparent and a good chat with the gatekeeper or co worker before hand could help ease the situation and they could possibly be on hand if you ever needed them to step in. Do you think you would class the observation as unsuccessful if someone was badly behaved during it? Because I think you could use this within your review at the end as a contrasting element which you may not have been expecting?
    Parent consent is like you have said, very important and I believe you have raised very good points on how the letter which they must sign is a clear indication of what will happen on the day.
    Thanks,
    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your feedback, Steph.

    I don't think I would think the observation was unsuccessful if bad behaviour occurred. I think I would then use my research diary to reflect on the situation in more detail, and try to analyse why that problem occurred.

    Your idea about asking a gatekeeper/coworker to step in if bad behaviour does happen during the inquiry would be very useful for my in a focus group situation. I think I would talk to the gatekeeper about this situation in more detail and ask them to remain an observer unless a behavioural incident needed dealing with.

    Your ideas have been really helpful here, so thanks again.

    Jess.

    ReplyDelete