When identifying my degree title, I decided
I would like the title to reflect the undergraduate studies I have undertaken
at both London Studio Centre and at Middlesex University through the BAPP
course. My studies at LSC helped me to develop my practical performing skills,
as well as giving me in depth theory knowledge varying from Dance History to
Modern Dance and Film culture. Furthermore, I would like my title to
incorporate my area of research within my inquiry project, as I feel this has
been formed a major part of my degree studies, and my professional development
within my work place.
Additionally, I think it is important to
identify that I have worked in education for over two years at a secondary
school Academy as an Academic Coach, which has enabled me to develop my professional
practices in English and Performing Arts teaching considerably. Therefore, I
would also like this to be reflected in my title.
In my inquiry, I plan to explore the factors
that influence students’ classroom engagement in Performing Arts and
Literacy/English in a secondary school setting. As a result of my Academic
Coaching role to data, I have recognised that engagement is a significant
determiner of student success in education. Through literature and government
progress agendas, I have realised that classroom engagement is a high priority
for any classroom teacher, as engagement leads to better learning and,
ultimately, better progress and academic achievement in school. Therefore, I
aim to increase my knowledge and understanding of engagement through the following
inquiry questions:
- In an experienced teaching practitioners’ opinion, what are the reasons that students engage or disengage in their subject areas of Performing Arts and English/Literacy?
- Why do students enjoy or dislike subjects, resulting in engagement/disengagement in Performing Arts and English/Literacy subjects?
- What type of classroom tasks and activities engage/disengage students the most in Performing Arts and English/Literacy classes?
After successful completion of this course,
I plan to further my studies and teaching practices by undertaking a PGCE
course. I would like to study on this type of traditional teacher training
course (instead of completing a direct route such as Teach First or Schools
Direct) because I believe it will allow me to develop and deepen the knowledge
I have gained through the BAPP course.
As a result, I feel it is important that my
award title reflects my inquiry area, as I have chosen to carry out research
into the subject of ‘classroom engagement’ to develop my professional practices
and deepen my understanding of this crucial area of teaching. In addition to
this research, I think it would be appropriate for my relevant work in
education to be recognised in my title, to help me successfully gain a place of
a PGCE course.
I propose the following award title, as a
result of this rational:
BA(hons)
Professional Practice (Engagement in Performing Arts/Literacy in Education)
Hi Jess,
ReplyDeleteThis all sounds great and you can clearly see how you would like you career to develop in the future. Would you like your title to be one or the other (Engagement in Performing Arts/Literacy in Education)?
Are you planning to apply for your PGCE starting in 2016?
Lisa x
Thanks Jess - good arguments - this is a negotiated element - however the arguments are also suited to explaining the inquiry work and title after completion.
ReplyDelete