Saturday, 27 February 2016

Arts Based Research Book: Smith & Dean (2009) Practice-led Research, Research-led Practice in Creative Arts

As past of my action planning from the tutorial yesterday, today used the reading list to look further into arts based research using the book above. I found this a really interesting exercise and it helped me to reflect upon the ideas from my tutorial yesterday.

Dean & Smith (2009) state that arts practice is a creative process. I found the idea that practice based research is about communicating ideas across fields and across disciplines of inquiry (Sullivan, 2009) very interesting because it related very closely to the trans-disciplinary work of the BAPP Arts course. I also found the chapter written by Mottram (2009) gave an interesting insight into the area of arts based inquiry when discussing the how knowledge of arts based practitioners is often, ‘tacit, unspoken knowledge acquired by practice within creative fields (Mottram, 2009, p. 232). I found this interesting because it reminds me that often performing arts specialists have a common understanding that is difficult to translate or communicate to other fields; for example ‘tacit’ feelings when performing.

I particularly found Bell’s (2009) chapter ‘The Academic Mode of Production’ really helped me to analyse the reflections I have been having in my Learning Journal and with Paula about incorporating both the creativity of an arts practitioner with my own professional practices. Bell (2009, p 253) describes this partnership in her own research work in the follow way ‘In reality this has been a ‘marriage of convenience’ as I have struggled to accommodate create interest in tandem with the development of a ‘credible’ research profile’ (p 253). She further argues that, ‘we still debate the relative value of works produced ‘by the heart rather than by the head’’ (Bell, 2009, p 260).

For me, these two quotes proved to be very significant. I think, as Paula discussed yesterday, that I have been very focused on the value of ‘works produced by the head’, to use Bell’s phrase, and that I have forgotten the passion that I have for the arts and particularly the feeling of performance and the spontaneity of the arts. This isn’t to say that I don’t have a passion for English and education, in fact I feel the complete opposite about these two areas. I find articles, theories and videos in education that I find really interesting and make me passionate (like autonomy supportive teaching blog) it is just that I need to embrace this more in my inquiry to find how these things link together in arts based practice and where I stand in this.

Another part of this book that I found useful for my reflective practices was the Chapter ‘Appendix: Questionnaire to Creative Arts Practitioners’ (http://lib.myilibrary.com/Open.aspx?id=270304&src=0). I used the questionnaire questions to reflect upon the discussions Paula and I had on my inquiry needing more of an arts based focus. The questions in the questionnaire focused on the topic of ‘research’ and ‘creative work’. I completed the questionnaire in my Learning Journal and I found it interesting to reflect on my thoughts of my inquiry plan so far. I don’t feel that it is appropriate to share all of my answers but one of the questions I found particularly interesting was the extract below. From this exercise, I could see that I need to incorporate my ‘creative practices’ into my inquiry more, something that I think I need to improve during Module 3.


Reference List
Smith, H. and Dean, R. T. (2009) “Introduction: Practice-led Research, Research-led Practice - Towards the Iterative Cyclic Web” in H Smith & R T Dean (eds), Practice-led Research, Research-Led Practice in the Creative Arts Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press, pp. 1-40

Smith, H. and Dean, R. T. (2009) “Appendix: Questionnaire to Creative Arts Practitioners” in H Smith & R T Dean (eds), Practice-led Research, Research-Led Practice in the Creative Arts Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press, pp. 264-266

Mottram, J. (2009) “Asking Questions of Art: Higher Education, Resaech and Creative Practice” in H Smith & R T Dean (eds), Practice-led Research, Research-Led Practice in the Creative Arts Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press, pp. 229-251

Bell, S. (2009) “The Academic Mode of Production” in H Smith & R T Dean (eds), Practice-led Research, Research-Led Practice in the Creative Arts Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press, pp. 252-263

No comments:

Post a Comment