In the online session last night with
Paula, Tom, Ellie, Lisa, Lara we started by asking and questions that we wanted
to discuss during the session:
- What is the literature review about?
- What are the timings of the Inquiry?
- How do you make sure your Inquiry is anonymous – in journal extracts?
Professional Inquiry
I found that the online session helped me
to understand which ‘inquiry stage’ we are in at the moment. As I have
mentioned in previous blogs, I was feeling a bit lost about where we should be
in the inquiry process. Paula said we
should still be in Stage 1 and possibly moving into Stage 2 as we are looking
at literature.
One part of the discussion that I would
really like to try was ‘Pinpointing’ where you are in the inquiry by discussing
this with BAPP peers over skype by asking the following questions:
Where
are you now?
- Your topic area and inquiry questions
- Ethical issues that are involved in your inquiry
- What you have done so far in terms of researching literature
- What you have done so far in terms of gathering data
- Have your partner write this on for you and give/send it to you.
I would really like to try this because I
feel that the more I discuss my inquiry with others, the clearer I am about
developing an ‘Action Plan’. If any
other Module 3 BAPP Arts students would like to try this, comment below and we
can try and organise a time?
Middlesex University (2016) Module 3 Handbook (p. 13)
- Something that is important for your professional practice
- Helping others to find out more / the inquiry will benefit others in your place of work
- Research to improve practice
- Action Research
- Giving you more knowledge to ‘defend’ your professional opinions and standpoints
The literature review is looking at 10-20
sources. I have found Summon to be a fantastic resource and I have found a
variety of interesting articles that have helped with my inquiry so far. Paula
said that it is also useful to look at the Library
Guides as well. The literature review is not about looking at separate sources
and ideas, but putting these together and looking at the ‘whole picture’. You
might look authors representing a
position or opposing a position and where you are in that discussion and where
you want to take those opinions.
Overall, I found last nights session a
really positive experience. It was so useful to come together to discus
problems and ideas because they often apply to more than one of our inquiries.
I also can find that the structure of the course can mean that you miss the
support of your peers. Therefore, I would really like to try to have more
Skype/phone conversations outside of the online sessions with the Module 3s
during this study period.



No comments:
Post a Comment