Tuesday, 15 March 2016

Inquiry Updates: Focused Inquiry Questions and Coinciding Interview Questions

I have been taking some time to reflect upon my one-to-one tutorial with Paula last week, in order to focus my inquiry questions. Since visiting the Module 3 BAPP blogs, I realised that I haven’t outlined my inquiry and its developments as clearly as other have, therefore not providing me with an opportunity to share my experience so far with other BAPP students for feedback and discussion. I feel this would be an ideal time to blog about this as I have spent time over the couple of days trying to ‘drill down’ my inquiry questions.
Inquiry Title
What are the teaching approaches that contribute to classroom engagement in Drama and English?
From my tutorial with Paula, it became clear that my idea of ‘engagement’ in education was too broad and general. As I have discovered in the literature review process, this is engagement in education is a current, highly debated topic, yet it has a labyrinth of meanings and consequences in the educational field. One of the key arguments in the broader literature of engagement in educational research is that, ‘the study of engagement is hindered by lack of consensus in both the number of subtypes and the definitions of student engagement’ (Reschly and Christenson 2012 p 11). However, it is important to recognise within my inquiry that engagement has ‘captured the curiosity of international researchers from a range of disciplines’ (Reschly and Christenson 2012 p v). As a result, I need to focus my inquiry questions on the subject areas of English and Drama to give my inquiry focus, as well making the inquiry process more manageable and productive for my professional practices.
My original inquiry questions
  1. Using experience practitioners’ opinions and literature, what does student engagement mean in an educational setting?
  2. What are the various teaching approaches that contribute to engagement in Drama and English as separate subjects?
  3. How can I apply some of the principles of engaging students to my own work as an Academic Coach and future teaching practice?

My newly focused inquiry question
  1. Using subject specialists’ perceptions and literature, what is student engagement in the teaching of English and Drama?
  2. What are subject specialists’ perceptions of teaching approaches that engage students in English and Drama?
  3. How can I apply some of these principles of engaging students to my own work as an Academic Coach and future teaching practice?

Paula suggested that I then needed to alter my proposed interview questions to ensure that I would be able to gather data that enabled me to answer the inquiry questions. Additionally, I wanted to explore two key ideas that have arisen during my literature review and my observations so far. Firstly, I wish to explore the concept that effective planning is a key contributor to engaging students in both Drama and English by asking experienced practitioners their perceptions of this. Secondly, the more complex issue and debate surrounding the ‘place’ of Drama and English within the current Secondary National Curriculum and the perceived constraints held over both subjects by the current curriculum (Stevens and McGuinn 2004; Fautley and Savage 2011; Fleming 2012; Anderson 2012; Kempe and Nicholson 2007). Through the literature review, I have discovered that much of the ‘arts-based education’ literature has a very strong defensive stance. In most cases, this literature argues the need for drama in our curriculum where there is currently no independent statutory guidance for Drama as a subject area. Although, fraught with passionate arguments, I believe it is important to address this issue in my inquiry. Below are my proposed inquiry questions:
Draft Interview Questions for Inquiry

Engagement:
  1. How would you define ‘Engagement’ in [subject area]?
  2. In your opinion, what are the reasons why students engage in [subject area]?
  3. How do you know when a student is engaged in [subject area]? (For example, what behaviour do they display, what emotions do they show, how do they think about tasks)
  4. In your opinion, what are the most effective teaching approaches to engage students in [subject area]?
  5. What types of classroom activities and tasks do you think engage students the most in [subject area]?

Disengagement:
  1. How would you define ‘Disengagement’ in [subject area]?
  2. In your opinion, what are the reasons why students disengage in [subject area]?
  3. How do you know when a student is disengaged from your lessons? (For example, what behaviour do they display, what emotions do they show, how do they think about tasks)
  4. What types of classroom activities and tasks do you think disengage students the most in [subject area]?
  5. What teaching approaches do you use to try to re-engage students who become disengaged during lessons?
  6. How do you try and engage students who are disengaged from [subject area] long term (i.e. long term subject-block)?
(Paula has suggested I only ask the questions in bold in this section if the other questions are covered in the participants' answers owing to time constraints in the interview)

Planning:
  1. Does student engagement affect your planning and preparation for lessons? If so, in what way?
  2. Do you believe that there are any factors that affect how you plan to engage students in lessons? 

Subject Specific:
  1. In your opinion as an experienced practitioner, does student engagement in [subject area] differ from engagement in other subjects?
  2. How would you describe the relationship between the approaches to teaching Drama and English?
  3. How would you describe the relationship between Drama and English in the Secondary National Curriculum?
  4. As a subject specialist, what are the advantages and disadvantages of combining elements of English and Drama in the Secondary Curriculum? Are there any limitations?
To reach this point in the inquiry has been a frustrating process at times, especially with regard to the literature. However I feel the literature, has really informed my thinking and has made me question the teaching of Drama and English within the curriculum in more depth, particularly the constraints of the curriculum and the uncertain position of these subjects. If any BAPP students have any comments or feedback on the above interview questions, it would be appreciated too. 


Reference List
Anderson, M. (2012) MasterClass in Drama in Education: Transforming Teaching and Learning. London: Continuum International Publishing Group

Christenson, S. L., Reschly A. L. and Wylie, C. (2012) “Preface” in S L Christenson, A L Reschly and C Wylie  (2012) Handbook of Research on Student Engagement London: Springer pp. v-ix

Fautley, M. and Savage, J. (2011) Cross-Curricular Teaching and Learning in The Secondary School: The Arts Drama, Visual Art, Music and Design. Oxon: Routledge

Felming, M. (2012) The Arts in Education: An introduction to aesthetic theory and pedagogy. New York: Routledge.

Kempe, A. and Nicholson, H. (2007) Learning to Teach Drama 11-18. London: Bloomsbury Publishing Plc.

Stevens, D. and McGuinn, N (2007) The Art of Teaching Secondary English: Innovative and creative approaches. London: Routledge

7 comments:

  1. Hi Jess,

    I think the questions are great, don't seem biased to me at all and are specific enough in order for you to get useful data.
    In your question 'What types of classroom activities and tasks do you think engage students the most in [subject area]?' I would only make sure to also get the participant's opinions as to WHY those activities work, but you probably have thought of that already.

    I am sure you are also very acquainted with your participants' backgrounds and how many years they have been teaching, but I would be interested to know if their practice and approach has changed a lot - that might give you a clue how your own practice might develop over time as well and what 'pitfalls' you might have to navigate.

    I hope this aids you.Enjoy the interviews!
    Best,
    Lara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lara,

      Thank you so much for this feedback. You are right that both of these areas would help me to develop me inquiry and answer my inquiry questions. Therefore, I am now working on the following questions to tweet and add into my interviews:

      Why do you believe these tasks and activities are the most engaging in [subject]?

      In your opinion, have your teaching approaches changed throughout your teaching career in [subject] due to curriculum changes?

      Thanks again,

      Jess.

      Delete
  2. Hi Jess,

    I think that you seem to be keeping focus on what it is you want to find out. With the literature I think there is so much going on and things that link together. It's easy to get stuck on things that aren't entirely relevant I am finding.

    I think your questions focus well and that your literature will set the background and show that your questions come from somewhere.

    When are you planning on starting your interviews?

    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa,

      Thanks for the comment. It has helped me to focus my inquiry. What is interesting is that I am still to find literature that specifically focuses on engagement in drama. I have found many texts that 'argue' why Drama should be used in and through the curriculum but hardly anything (Apart from Warner) about engagement in Drama. I think the reason for this is interesting in itself. It could be that engagement in Drama isn't an issue, hence there is nothing written on it or that it is assumed by arts writers that drama does enhance engagement, hence the strong stance on this issue.

      I am planning to carry out my first interview tomorrow, followed by the remaining three interviews next week (during the last week of term). I would like to have the interviews completed by next Friday so I have time to code these and analyse these over the easter holidays.

      How are you interviews going? I know you said it would be interesting to talk to practitioners that you didn't know as well. Have you found anything interesting in these?

      Thanks,
      Jess.

      Delete
    2. Hi Jess, how have your interviews gone? I have done 2 - both with people whom I know fairly well. I still have at least 3 more to do but it's proving difficult to organise.

      Lisa x

      Delete
  3. Hi Jess,
    Paula suggested I get in touch as I am currently studying module 2 and am looking at drama therapy and how drama can benefit all students. I've been researching the use of drama on schools curriculum and the benefits it has. I currently live in Singapore so it's been interesting to see the different approaches in different counties. I found your blog really interesting and will continue to follow :-) I just wanted some advice really....I'm currently struggling to focus in on what my actual enquiry will be. I know what I am interested and passionate about but wondered whether you had the same issues or not? Engagement in drama is such a fascinating topic. It's so interesting how many children I teach that struggle to engage at school yet excel when the school topic is taught through drama. I guess the difficulty in mainstream is that with 30 students in a class and targets to hit it's very difficult to cater for all types of learner.
    I look forward to reading how your interviews go.
    Good luck!
    Lucy :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lucy,

      Thanks for the comment and it's great to hear from everyone from different modules. As I have been studying the literature on my inquiry topic, I have come across many books and articles that research the benefits of Drama in education, the majority concluding that Drama has positive benefits for all students. As my inquiry topic is engagement, this has not been directly linked to my inquiry, but relevant nonetheless.

      Yes, I think my inquiry did evolve a lot throughout Module 2. I began my inquiry looking at why boys enjoy dance and why students enjoy performing arts. My advice would be to look for literature that relates to the topic you are interested in. For example complete a Summon search for 'advantages of using drama in education'. Then this may lead you to focus your inquiry. Another process that really helped me was 'questioning my assumptions' (http://jessicaplant.blogspot.co.uk/2015/10/questioning-my-assumptions.html) after an online session with Adesola. By analysing my assumptions, I was clearly able to see what I was interested in by the reoccurring themes in my possible questions.

      I have found through my inquiry process that I haven't found what I expected to find in terms of Drama and English engagement. It has certainly been an interesting process. My other advice would be to really focus your inquiry before you start, Module 3 is very busy and complex so if you are very clear before you begin, it makes the process a lot more productive.

      I hope this helps.

      Jess.

      Delete