Lara, Lisa, Jodie and I decided
to have another online session to discuss where we are at in our Module 3 work.
I really appreciated getting together to discuss how we were all feeling and
what we are currently working through at this stage in the inquiry process. We
discussed a variety of aspects from Module 3 including the artefact, the
write-up process and planning.
Artefact
Firstly, we shared our ideas
about our ‘work in progress’ artefacts. I said that I found it useful to think
about incorporating what I had found in my inquiry into my artefact. For
example, I have found that visual sources and collaboration are important
strategies adopted by teachers to engage students, so I wanted to create a
possible video artefact that made use of an audio-visual format as well as
giving my the opportunity to work collaboratively with the creative team in my
school. We also discussed the idea of creating something that was useful to
your professional practices. Lisa had a fantastic idea of creating a resource
that students could use to practice their skills that she and other teachers
would be able to use in the future. I found that I have been thinking about the
artefact as something that would be both useful to my professional audience
(teachers) and to myself (in my future teaching practices). Jodie asked the
question about whether we talk about our artefact in the oral presentation.
Lara said that she believed that we would, but if anyone knows the format for
this, please comment.
Write-Up
I was concerned about when to
start the write-up of the critical review so I found that today was a good
opportunity to see how others were getting on with this process. Lara talked
about giving yourself deadlines so that you can make sure you complete the work
needed. She gave the example of making sure you move on from the literature a
little bit in order to give yourself time to analyse data and write the
critical review; I found this advice really useful. We also discussed writing
the critical review in sections, for example maybe writing the introduction and
evaluation of the inquiry process, whilst we are still analysing data. I feel
that I now need to go back to the Module 3 Handbook and start to make a bullet
point plan of my critical review. At this stage, there will be clear gaps in my
write-up but I feel, after this conversation, that it is important that I start
to make myself more conscious of this process, especially where there are
‘gaps’ so that I can focus on filling these in. Again, I feel making use of
bullet points and mind maps will help me to not feel overwhelmed with the task.
Planning
Another part of the conversation that I found really useful for my
reflective practices was discussing how we plan our work for the Module. We were all in agreement that sometimes Module 3 can feel overwhelming
because there are so many elements to think about. I said that when I am not
spending time on BAPP Arts work for Module 3, I feel guilty for this. As Lisa
pointed out, it is important to take a step back to give yourself time to think
about things properly. I feel this is really good advice because I sometimes
feel that I am ‘too close’ to the work to reflect upon it properly. This links
to my tutorial with Paula when she was explaining that the artefact is like a
‘hot air balloon’, if you are too close to what is going on you can’t give an
overview or solutions. I now know that this is something to keep in mind when
analysing my data. As Lisa and Paula have identified if you are too immersed in
the action then you can get ‘tunnel vision’ with the inquiry process.
For me, I have discovered that breaking tasks down into much smaller
‘chunks’ and planning these out in my Gantt Chart has allowed me to be able to
work through tasks that I would struggle to do when looking at the bigger
picture. As Jodie said, the Module work
shouldn’t feel so separate from your work practices and I need to keep that in
mind now that I am approaching the data analysis, write up and artefact
creation stage.
Reflections
I found the group Skype chat really useful today. I had a few technical
issues with my Skype, so thank you to the girls for being patient with this (I
think I have sorted this now so it shouldn’t be a problem when we decided to
talk again in a few weeks)! Through the discussion I have realised that I may
have to approach the write up for this Module slightly differently and start to
write-up my first draft before I have completely finished my Data Analysis
process. Taking Lara’s advice, I am setting myself some Action Points to
complete by the end of this week to make sure that I am on track:
ACTION POINT: Begin
thematic analysis of observations and interviews
ACTION POINT: Write a
sample of my inquiry analysis to send to Paula for formative feedback
ACTION POINT: Bullet Point
plan the critical review and begin to draft this (even if I do not have a ‘complete’
picture of my work)
ACTION POINT: Send a
one-page summary of the Artefact to Paula for formative feedback
Thank you so much to Lara, Lisa and Jodie for the conversation today. I
now feel much more positive about taking my studies into the next stage on the
inquiry process!
Thank you Jess - those bullets points have given me a starting point as i'm feeling a little bogged down by it all!!
ReplyDeleteAndrea
Hi Andrea,
DeleteI'm glad that this helped you. I completed my 'bullet point plan' of the first two sections of the critical review. This took me about an hour and a half to do, but I think this will be really beneficial when I start to write up today. How are you getting on with everything?
Jess.
thanks Jess - I will also be dong a session specific to the artefact - as will Adeosla...
ReplyDelete