Straight after the
online group session yesterday, I had a one-to-one tutorial with Paula to
discuss Data Analysis. As I have mentioned on my blog (Inquiry Stage), I felt a
underprepared to begin the data analysis process. Paula has send me some
authors and books that will help me to make sense of the data analysis and
these include: Mason (2002); Blaxter, Hughes and Tight (2010); Denscombe
(2010).
Data Analysis: General Purposes
Paula explained
that the data analysis is looking at what people have said in your inquiry and
what people have done in your inquiry and comparing these with your opinions
and the literature.
In the analysis you
are separating out emerging findings. In terms of my own inquiry where I
carried out observations and interviews, this will be recognising common themes
between interviews and observations and significant instances that stand out
amongst my observations and interviews. I will then compare these to my own
expectations and the work in the literature. When using qualitative data from
interviews, Paula said I have to state what participants actually said, using
quotes, and then explain my interpretations of this.
- What happened in the inquiry? What did participants say/do?
- Compare this to what is written in the literature and my own opinions and expectations
- Explore if the findings from observations/interviews are in alignment or in juxtaposition with literature and opinions
Paula said to
first listen back to the interviews I have audio recorded. She said not to
transcribe the whole interview, but to only type/write up quotes that I think
are significant or interesting. For my observations, Paula said to note two or
three things that stand out from each observation. Paula also suggested that
colour coding each of these things to help me categorise emerging themes. Next,
Paula said to create a ‘Matrix’ grid, to compare what I believed and what each
participant said or did that related to this.
Paula suggested
that I could either write the observations and interviews up together, by using
thematic analysis, suggesting that I only using a handful of the most important
themes (5 or 6), or I could analyse
the observations and interviews separately with a summary of both at the end
of this.
Discussion about Artefact
We then discussed
my ideas for my artefact. Paula said that the artefact should be bringing all
of my ideas together and communicating them to a professional audience. Paula
also said the Artefact should be a way of providing solutions in my new
professional practices and this may be that I give examples of this too (almost
like a ‘Tahdah’ moment!)
I said that my
professional audience would be teachers in both the Secondary Sector, as this
is where my current work practices are, and the Primary Sector, as this is
where my future teaching career will be. I told Paula how I would like to
create a video for my artefact, where I draw images, key words and mind maps of
how I carried out my inquiry and what I found. This is then made quicker with
an incorporated voice over explaining the process in more detail. I would like
to do this for two reasons. Firstly, because I believe teachers, after a long
day or reading, marking, lesson planning and data entry, would much rather have
a visual source to receive information. Secondly, I have found in my inquiry,
so far, that both visual aids and collaborative group work are used as
engagement strategies. Therefore, a video would make use of visual and audio
sources as well as giving me the opportunity to work collaboratively with the
creative team in my school to learn new skills.
Paula said that I
needed to have some way of summarising the inquiry with my solutions to some of
the problems I have found. This way, I can ‘pick up’ my findings again. Leaving
the artefact with just theories and questions isn’t enough. Paula suggested
maybe adding my ideas of what an engaging lesson would look like using the findings
of my inquiry. This could be either a lesson or workshop plan. I really like
these ideas Paula suggested. Through the Data Analysis process, I think that
this final solution or ‘Tahdah’ moment will become more clear, however any
suggestions would be greatly appreciated too!
Thoughts, Reflection and Action Plans
The one to one, in
combination with the online session, gave me some very significant ideas to
think about. I feel I have a clearer idea of what I need to do in order to
analyse my data effectively now. I feel that I still need to take time to look
at the resources that Paula has suggested, to ensure that I fully understand
the task ahead. I am hoping to send Paula a ‘sample’ of my analysis by the end
of next week to gain some formative feedback on this. Paula has also given me
some really exciting ideas to consider for my artefact and I will continue to
reflect upon these in my reflective journal.
ACTION POINT: Read
sources suggested by Paula and make detailed notes
ACTION POINT:
Highlight two or three significant ideas from each observation, colour coding
these.
ACTION POINT: Create
a Matrix grid either using thematic analysis or analysis of interviews and
observations separately
ACTION POINT: Send
a sample to Paula for formative feedback
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteJess, thanks a lot for this, what a great post! It's very helpful, because I am at the same stage in my inquiry. I was going to use the comparative approach I mentioned to you (grouping together participants by their backgrounds for instance), so with this info you shared, I feel I have gained a deeper understanding to how I'm going to tackle the data analysis. I've definitely found Denscombe and Hughes & Tight to be helpful resources regarding data analysis, let me know how you find Mason. It was also great speaking with you and the girls over Skype again yesterday :) I hope your analysis goes well, keep me posted! I am hoping to share a post about my analysis progression at some point towards the end of this week. In the meantime, I look forward to our next Skype conversation and staying in touch via the blogs. Thanks again for this insightful post, Jess :)
ReplyDeleteBest,
Lara
Hi Lara,
DeleteI'm glad that you found this useful. I have been completing my Matrix Analysis over the past week and this has been a really interesting process. I was worried when I first saw the 6000 word count, however, I have written up a little draft of one of my Matrix analysis and this seems to be very long! Seeing as I am planning to write up 5-6 of these, I think concise writing will be key. Therefore, in the data selection process, I now believe it is important to only focus on the most vital aspects of the inquiry and maybe use the appendices for the others. What do you think? Have you found this is similar to your data analysis?
Jess.
Hi Jess,
ReplyDeleteApologies for the delayed response, I was all wrapped up in finishing my draft! How did you get on with yours in the end? I've just forwarded my preliminary one to Paula but still need to move some things around and do a lot of tyding up, so I agree with you, concise writing really is key! I just tried to summarise all my findings in 100 words, an exercise described in the Handbook, and it really opened my eyes to how much more 'efficient' I can still be with my writing.
I have looked at themes that emerged from my data analysis (most were in line with the literature interestingly!) and have also found Lisa's and your evaluative blogposts very useful! I am just about to start on the Artefact, how are you getting on with yours? I saw the mockup on your blog and will leave a comment there in a moment :)
Best,
Lara