Wednesday, 14 October 2015

Online Session 13th October


Last night Laura, Lisa, Jodie, Granger and myself joined Adesola for the online session. Our main topic for discussion was ‘Questions’. This included different types of questions, in particular questions that don’t necessarily have to have an answer. This really confused me at first! How can our inquiry question not have an answer?

We looked at examples of questions and discussed how questions that include ‘why’ can push people towards an answer. For example: ‘Why do students who excel in performing arts sometimes underachieve in other subjects?’ This pushes me towards the answer that all students underachieve for the same reasons, when in fact there could be multiple reasons, each on individual to each student. All the answers and reasons are completely different. One answer could actually be very ‘random’ and this can affect the way someone thinks about the results. This question also had assumptions in it.

For me, the most significant part of the session was the idea of ‘assumptions’. We discussed one of my questions: ‘Is there a link between improving literacy levels with dance lessons?’ From this question, I have already assumed that there is a link when there may be no link at all. This is something I am really interested in within my workplace, and as Adesola pointed out I have already made assumptions about this topic from what I have seen and read. This question is implying that that I need to find an answer based on my own assumptions. Adesola then said that when you make assumptions, you actually want to find out more about the ‘thing’ you’re making the assumption about. Then explore this and challenge your own assumptions. In this case, literacy levels and dance.

Another important discovery for me from this session was the idea that the inquiry is like a foundation; you are actually finding out more about a topic that you are interested in and is relevant to you and your work place. Adesola identified that some of my questions would not be possible for me to find out at degree level within the 12 weeks assigned for carrying out the inquiry. So, for me, my inquiry may be could be looking back at my own questions and finding the assumptions within them and exploring this. I am going to look back at my questions today and look for the assumptions within them. I will think about the following ideas when I do this:
  1. Is it begging for an answer?
  2. How do you make it personal to you?
  3. Explore the ideas/assumptions around the question to gain greater knowledge.

8 comments:

  1. This is really helpful, thank you for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the session Adesola. It made me realise how many assumptions were in my questions.

    I have looked back at my questions and recognised the assumption in them and found many common themes which I can then find our more about as part of my inquiry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this post Jess, I have been away on holiday and have began further developing my questions today. Your discussion regarding the word 'why' and 'assumptions' have really opened my eyes too potential problems within my own questions. I am currently trying too figure out which questions are 'too big' for our 12 week deadline.
    It looks like use learnt a a lot in this session. I will definitely do my best too attend the next one.

    Thanks again Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad it was helpful, Laura. How are you finding developing your questions? Is there anything you would like an opinion on?

      Jess.

      Delete
  5. Thank you for inviting me to read this blog about assumptions.

    I think most of us will agree that we do not nesesecarily think about how we are writing a question out with the words we are using, For example as you mentioned the word why can push people into an answer. I found this interesting looking back over my notes and realising that most of my questions had the word why at the end of them. Even though I want an answer I don't want it to be pushed from what I am implying within my question... if that makes sense?!

    Thank you for posting this as I will use and recap over my blogs and dig a little bit deeper into my questions and how I have possibly used assumptions

    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks Jess - like the fact you are going on the blogs and adding to conversations Laura and Stephanie - good conversation - reflective practice as the catalyst of change - discovery is as important as finding the 1 right answer - which may not exist! (in constructivist real-world inquiry - it most likely doesn't) - but the debate - the discourse - the conversations help us find our way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for this Jess, was really helpful. I missed this session so it has given me more to think about.

    ReplyDelete