Tuesday, 6 October 2015

Task 4c: Developing my questions with my Professional Community – Continued

Today I met with the Vice Principal (VP) in charge of Curriculum. We initially met to discuss how my role has changed this year, so I took as an opportunity to discuss my inquiry planning with her.
I said how I had met with the Head of Dance to talk about some of my questions and outlined our discussion around the ‘engagement’ question. The VP said this would be a viable route to take within the organisation, but I could take this further. She discussed the option of addressing performing arts as a whole (not just dance or school musical), including the drama department and their play, music and their nationally acclaimed bands and the dance and the school musical. She also said this inquiry does not just have to focus on a student voice perspective, but it could include staff and parent perspectives to see if there are any correlations or discrepancies between these.
She stated how this inquiry could help develop the school as a whole organisation, where I said I had looked into this already through research. She did suggest that I should go and speak to the Assistant Vice Principal (AVP) in charge or Teaching and Learning at the Academy to see what her thoughts were on this type of question and how it could be used in the school as a whole. This is not something I would have considered.

I realised today that discussing my questions with one colleague can actually lead me to another colleague that can help me further. I would not have thought to speak to the Teaching and learning AVP – although now it sounds obvious. Discussing my lines of inquiry is helping me to miss the ‘obvious’ aspects and push the boundaries of what I thought would be achievable in my work context, something that I didn’t expect to happen!

No comments:

Post a Comment