Within
Module 1, I identified that ethics were crucial within my work place as a
school. Looking back at my blog I found the following quote, which I believe
highlights the continuing importance of ethics within Module 2 and planning my
inquiry: ‘Teacher unions report an ongoing increase in the number of teachers
facing discipline based on what they have posted online’ (Kuehn, 2012, p. 84).
When
I came to write the ethics that I thought applied to my work place, I wasn’t
quite sure where to begin. My immediate thoughts were of the most prominent
aspect of ethics within my work place: safeguarding. However, through working
at the Academy for just over two years, I realised there were many more areas
to consider such as staff polices, codes of conduct, child protection and
health and safety. I decided to write my ideas in small ‘clusters’ under topic
areas that I thought were important within my workplace.
Safeguarding - I think this is the most vital part of my role within my
workplace and for any teacher. It is really important that information about
any student is not released outside of the Academy, unless permission is given
or it is for an outside agency working to protect the child (child protection
related). It is also imperative that student information is kept private; this
includes keeping computers ‘locked’ when not attended to keep all information
safe. Written permission is needed from parents if students are involved in
after school/off site activities. A written permission form has to be singed
for any audio or audiovisual recordings of the child to take place. If any
students were to be involved in my inquiry, I would need to write a letter to
parents outlining what my inquiry involves, where the information would be
shared and who this information would be shared in order to gain full written
consent for their child to take part. Furthermore, I would never use surnames
of children, and I would even consider not even using first names. I would use
names such as ‘child a’ if the parents did not want their child's names being used. I also think that
keeping confidential information about a student completely confidential is
absolutely crucial.
Data Protection – It is vital that no data or information for a child is released
outside the Academy. This is also the case with staff. No staff data should be
passed on to third parties without permission from that member of staff.
Codes of Conduct and Policies – we have many codes of conduct and policies within the Academy. One
of the most important is health and safety. It is important at all times that
the students’ and staffs’ health and safety is considered at all times within
and out of lessons. This is particularly important in practical subjects where
the risk of injury is greater. Furthermore, it is imperative that I follow and
abide by the outlines within my job description; this even includes things such
as abiding by the dress code and making sure I look clean and presentable. It
is vital that staff wear identification badges at all times around the building
and during after school activities as a child protection precaution.
Permission – in terms of my inquiry, written or verbal permission is needed
from staff in order for me to complete observations, interviews and attend
meetings. It is extremely important that all staff are aware the purpose of my
inquiry and where the information I collect will be used and who will see this
information. I would prefer written permission from staff to ensure effectively
communication from both staff and myself to ensure that they fully understand
my inquiry. Overall, I need permission from my Principle in order to carry out
any form of inquiry.
My own conduct and
professionalism – we discussed what makes a
professional in Module 1. However, for me this is one of the most important
things about ethical considerations. Following my contract (such as working
hours, wearing my ID badge and use of appropriate language), behaving in a
professional manor in front of students and staff (including appropriate tone
and language), dressing appropriately (in line with dress code, looking clean,
having clean hair and not wearing too much make up) are all incredibly
important to me. I would ensure that no information is disclosed, especially
that of a sensitive or controversial nature, to anyone who is not involved with
the inquiry. For me it also goes beyond a contract, policy or procedure in
terms of people. It is really important that my actions do not impact
negatively upon my employers, colleagues, students or their parents. When
conducting social research, it is imperative to remember that peoples’ feelings
and emotions are intrinsically involved and connected with the inquiry; this
needs to be handled with sensitivity and professionalism – something that may
not be included in a contract or policy.
I
have found it quite challenging to complete this task without undertaking
background research. I feel that I have a good knowledge of ethics and policies
within my work place, but I think that by just writing my ideas I will
have missed a key aspect of ethics within my school which I need to have
considered before undertaking my inquiry. It will be interesting to compare my
thoughts with documentation and further research to see what I have overlooked.






Thanks Jess professional codes of conduct can be both tacit and implicit - which you have shown here - permissions form the school and now learning how to do practitioner research is built into the inquiry process. In your case, staff will be helping you to understand the context in which you are working, and it sounds like you have a good working relationship with others in your workplace. Actually reading the school policies is useful, and these could be a part of your document research for Module 3.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Paula. I have downloaded some documents from the GOV website for the Department of Education. I am now going to look at the staff policies available. I am then going to look at both of these sources to see what I have missed in this post.
ReplyDelete