Wednesday, 17 February 2016

Beginning Module 3

As always, Christmas is a busy time of year. I attended interviews for PGCE courses in the two weeks leading up to Christmas. I am delighted to say that I have made the decision to undertake a Primary PGCE, hoping to combine all aspects of my current experience in Secondary English, Maths and Performing Arts. 

The break over Christmas has given me time to reflect on my Module 2 work, both the positives and where possible improvements could be made. In light of my recent PGCE offer, I am glad that I made the decision to limit my inquiry to just two specific subject areas (Drama and English), as Drama is now taught within the Primary English National Curriculum. This way, I can really utilise the subject specific knowledge of the practitioners in my place of work to enhance my own future teaching practices in a Primary setting.

The beginning of the modules is always a daunting time and I already have the feeling of being slightly overwhelmed! However, I am excited to push myself further in Module 3 by meeting my targets to improve my self-questioning and challenging my own conceptions. I have begun this module by consulting the handbook and reading through the blog posts of others. 

I think that one of my most difficult challenges during this module will time management and it seems that others on the course agree. Particularly as the course dates fall within three weeks of school holidays and the shortest term of the year! Lara's blog post really helped me today as she suggested a Gantt Chart website. I have used this resource today to create a 'work in progress' Gantt chart for my Module 3 BAPP Arts studies. Thanks, Lara!


My BAPP Arts schedule (http://gantter.com/)

Despite this, I am still slightly "disorientated" and I am not quite sure where to start! I don't think this is particularly helped by the fact that I am currently on half term. Any suggestions from fellow BAPP students would be much appreciated? Or just any feedback on how you have been finding Module 3 so far?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jessica!
    I am glad the Gantt chart was helpful. In all honesty, I am also feeling a little overwhelmed. I am trying to establish a routine in order to keep up with both the social media for BAPP and people's blogs whilst simultaneously conducting my tasks and reflecting on them - talk about multitasking! Maybe a mindmap might be helpful? I always use one when my brain is about to explode :D ...
    Do you tend to write up as you go along or collect all material and then write it up at the end of the term?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lara,

    It was really helpful so thank you. I have dyslexia which means that I really struggle to conceptualise time and create 'timetables' for myself, so this visual resource has been excellent for me. Yes, I sometimes find it difficult to get around the blogs and have regular contact with fellow BAPP students, although I find that the comments and discussions are invaluable to my studies. To get around this, I have 'bookmarked' all the Module 3 Blogs and try and visit them everyday to look for changes, in addition to checking the SIG groups. I also keep a page in the back of my notebook where I record comments that people have made on my blog and comments that I have made on others blogs so that I can check easily for updates on these discussions.

    A mind-map sounds like a good idea. I think that I need to complete my one page summary of my inquiry to send to Paula and start to look at the Reader for the literature review. What are you currently working on?

    I definitely write up as I go along. I find that this helps me with my thought process and allows me to see my changes in thinking more clearly. I also find that the quality of discussion and debate had over these 'difficult' topics with other BAPP students is a massive benefit.

    Hope this helps!

    Jess.

    ReplyDelete