Sunday, 4 October 2015

Task 4a: Developing Thoughts

Today I looked back into my reflective journal and I found this comment in one of my entries from this week: ‘Recently, I have been feeling very overwhelmed by module 2. I feel like I dived into my questions too quickly and now I don’t really know where I am heading with any of them. I feel like I have jumped to too many conclusions and now I don’t know how to get out of this. It feels frustrating…’ I have really been finding it difficult to make any sense of any of my inquiry questions that I posted last week. After this comment in my reflective journal and my tutorial with Paula, I decided to use Reader 4 to try and decipher which of my previous ideas are useful, and which I need to readdress. I have built on previous research with the Reader 4 questions to try and make my ideas more cohesive.

What were some of the points in the reading that you will use to develop your topic?
I found that the book Ground Rules for Social Research – Guidelines for Good Practice by Denscombe (2010) was particularly useful for me, as it enabled me to consider whether my initial questions would be suitable for an inquiry based on three key research aspects: Purpose, Relevance and Feasibility (Denscombe, 2010).
Denscombe (2010) outlines the importance of having ‘an explicit and precise description of purpose and answers’ before undertaking any research (p. 7). This helps a practitioner to understand research before undertaking it, evaluate the research one it is completed and finally it provides a sound starting point to the research itself (Denscombe, 2010). I feel I am lacking this clear vision of which path my inquiry is going to take, which could result in ‘a recipe for sloppy research’ (Denscombe, 2010, p. 8).


Denscombe, M. (2010) Ground Rules for Social Research - Guidelines for Good Practice 2nd Edition. New York: Open University Press. p. 7

To address this issue of lack in clarity within my inquiry research so far, I found his theory of ‘Different types of Research’ particularly useful, as it allowed me to consider which ‘category’ my initial questions fall in to. I found the following three categories most useful:
  • ‘Explaining the causes and consequences of something (why do things happen?)’
  • ‘Describing something (what is it like?)’
  • ‘Developing good practice (how can it be improved)’
  • (Denscombe, 2010, p. 11-12)
Firstly, ‘Explaining the causes and consequences of something’ is concerned with applied research, which recognizes the relationships between things and tries to understand them, ‘understand why things happen as they do’ (Denscombe, 2010, p. 11). Next, ‘Describing something’ involves collecting facts from situations or events in order to ‘discover information that didn’t exist before’ (Denscombe, 2010, p. 11). Its primary aim is to find out how things are and how they work rather than how they will be in the future. Finally, ‘Developing good practice’ addresses the research involved with problem solving, resulting in recommendation of good practice to ‘enhance performance of the organization’ (Denscombe, 20120, p. 12).
I can recognise which of my initial questions fit into each of these ‘purposes’ of research. Categorising my initial questions has enabled me to think more clearly which questions are viable questions for inquiry, as some of my original question do not actually have a clear purpose, which could lead to confused and misleading research.
I also found Denscombe’s (2010) four main theories of the ‘Relevance’ of research has helped me to outline whether my question are indeed relevant for one purpose or another.
  • ‘Existing knowledge’ – how the research contributes to existing theories.
  • ‘Practical needs’ – the problems that need solving in an organisation can be addressed through research.
  • ‘The timeliness of research’ – how current concerns can be addressed through research.
  • ‘The researchers personal agenda’ – how the research fits the abilities and needs of the researcher.
  • (Denscombe, 2010, p. 24)
I feel the final bullet point regarding ‘personal agenda’ in particularly key when undertaking the inquiry project on the BAPP (Arts) course. Many of the tasks in Reader 4 have surrounded the ideas of ‘What knowledge and skills do you think you will need for the future?’ Denscombe (2010) identifies that ‘in reality, social researchers, particularly those doing small-scale one-off projects, tend to choose topics that are of relevance to them and their personal agendas’ (p. 28), whilst acknowledging that this is not necessarily a negative, Denscombe posits that ‘a personal interest, however, should not blind researchers to thinks that challenge their expectations’ (p. 13) as it becomes difficult for them to be impartial.
This research contradicts everything I have researched and believed up until this point. Although I understand Denscombe’s argument, I believe for an inquiry to be completed successfully BAPP course, the key is in choosing an inquiry that will develop me and my orgnaisation professionally, and ultimately this will inevitably something that I am passionate about. However, this idea of ‘impartial research’ is something I will consider carefully.


Denscombe, M. (2010) Ground Rules for Social Research - Guidelines for Good Practice 2nd Edition. New York: Open University Press. p. 23

Finally, Denscombe (2010) identifies two significant areas within ‘Feasibility’, which I feel will help me to consider which inquiry is suitable: ‘time’ and ‘good will’. Time is incredibly important when undertaking research and as Denscombe ascertains is the notion that the amount of time available for research ‘puts boundaries on the scale and scope of the research that is possible’ (p. 43). This is something I will have to consider, how much time will this line of inquiry actually take and can I complete it successfully whilst still performing my job properly?
Furthermore, the idea that much of social research involves the good will of others (for example colleagues) to cooperate and give up their own time and resources for researchers are ‘hidden resources that researchers must use to improve their prospects of collecting valid information’ (Denscombe, 2010, p. 49). I will need to consider which of my questions are suitable for inquiry as some many rely too heavily on other staff for research. However, I need to discuss these questions with these members of staff, because my perception of what I consider ‘too much’ and their perception of ‘too much’ can be very different.
Denscombe, M. (2010) Ground Rules for Social Research - Guidelines for Good Practice 2nd Edition. New York: Open University Press. p. 40

Below I have created a ‘table format’ in which I have evaluated my questions using this research above, in turn helping me to decide which question are suitable. I am now going to take this document with me when discussing my possible lines of inquiry with my employer and colleagues.
If any BAPP students/colleagues have any comments on my developing questions, the advice would be very much appreciated as I am finding this task very difficult.
4. What is your inquiry question(s)? What do you want to find out about a particular topic?
























Reference List:
Denscombe, M. (2010) Ground Rules for Social Research - Guidelines for Good Practice 2nd Edition. New York: Open University Press.

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jess, I have briefly read your blog but intend to read it more thoroughly when I get into port again with decent wifi and time.
    So something that interested me was your last question- Why do students who excel in performing arts sometimes underachieve in literacy. It does seem to be a common occurrence, not all the time though as I have had a few dancing friends who have also been very academic.

    I think it could be one of two things one being- a pure lack of interest. Unless you are interested in Something you won't generally give it your all, I had this discussion with two of my musician friends last night after discussing your question with them. They are academically intelligent and their main interests lie in music but they have interests in other more academic subjects too. I feel they can come across more intelligent than I at times because let's say one of their interests is politics, now I have little interest in this matter but they do so they read about it, they watch related things on the TV and have conversations about it so their knowledge will be greater than mine purely because I haven't taken an interest. I feel like this could give the impression I'm not as intelligent. That was just a little example to help you catch my drift lol.
    The 2nd idea we touched on in module 1 regarding different types of intelligence, I can't remember the proper names off the top of my head but we are all intelligent in different ways however when we are creatively clever over academically clever, generally speaking we are not deemed as intelligent for some reason, I wonder why that is? I would be intrigued to see some statistics on this, is there an abundance of creatively intelligent people and a lack of academic so we aren't as in demand? Or is it just purely we are creative so we can make people smile and feel happy (I know there is a lot more we can do than just that but I don't need to list them to a fellow performer) whilst academic people can build computers, find cures for diseases and solve difficult problems do with science and maths which is obviously really important.
    We can't cure cancer by doing a beautiful dance unfortunately. I do really want to fight the creative intelligence corner here, but I'm being realistic. Having said that It takes all types of people and intelligences to make this world go round, if we were all intelligent in the same way the world would lack so many things in so many areas, so I think it is extremely important to have this diversity in order for us to have a well rounded community.
    After my conversation with my friends last night, it has made me question the concept of .... is it lack of academic intelligence or just pure lack of interest? Any way I have waffled on now far too much, sorry Jess ha ha. Hope you are doing ok.

    Danni x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Danni,

    Thanks for the comment. I know it must be difficult when you struggle to get wifi!

    I like the point you make about 'intelligence'. In my question, I chose to focus on the progress aspect of 'underachievement' rather than the preconceptions about intelligence levels. I didn't want this question to be leading about intelligence, therefore I focused on the progress aspect. As an example, a Year 7 student may be working at a 5b in English (above average) but still not making expect progress in terms of where they should be. Yet in dance they are on target even though that level is a lower 4b. Although they could be considered 'better' at English than Dance, they are still underachieving in English. Therefore, are there elements in practical subjects that engage them more/less and what are the contributing factors to this?

    I see now how my objective for this question is confusing. You make a good point about 'pure lack of interest'. From this discussion (and others that I have had with colleagues and BAPP students), I believe my question really are:
    1. Does a student's level of engagement differ in Dance and English/Literacy lessons? Does this have an impact on their progress?
    2. Is there a correlation between differing engagement levels in Dance and English/Literacy? What are the contributing factors to this?

    Do you think these questions are clearer?

    I have been finding literature about this topic this week and I cam across the idea of 'What is literacy?' I also came across the term 'dance literacy'. It discusses the idea of 'literacy' being defined as competency and not just learning to read and write. Do you think this links with your point about 'what is intelligence?'

    Thanks again and hope your studies are going well.

    Jess.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jessica,

    I found reading your blog post very interesting, especially the way that you have researched into Denscombe's work and used it to aid your development of questions.

    I really think that you've got a great set of questions that you're developing that could prove to be great lines of enquiry. A couple that interested me the most were these two below. I thought maybe if I tried to answer them, you could pick out some information/views/links that may help you in developing them? I'll keep my answers brief, but should you wish for me to elaborate, don't be shy to ask.

    To what extent does parental involvement and support effect male participation in performing arts?

    I could give you lots of tales, experiences that aren't necessarily just my own on this question. However in my own experience. When I began to participate in performing arts, my mother was fine with it and my father (ex-professional rugby player) was not surprisingly, entirely against it. Progression through performing arts was slow and difficult because my father was reluctant to fund my involvement. And in fact it took the support and convincing from other parents to persuade my father to enable me to further participate in performing arts. From what commenced as a 1 morning a week involvement, turned into a full time 6 days a week life commitment. Having full support from both my parents in early stages of my involvement could have sped up/improved my progression from hobbyist to industry professional.

    Do positive male role models within a school (students/staff) effect the level of participation and involvement of male students in time-tabled classes?

    My answer to this would be most definitely. Having a male role model gave us (me and fellow male students) someone to base our aspirations/goals on. Seeing the work of someone at the latter stages of their professional development gave me insight to what it was that I could one day achieve myself. And therefore I would work harder in my classes so that I could "be like him when I was older". I doubt I would have worked as hard if I didn't have male role models in my place of training. As I would have no one to better myself against.

    Although brief, I hope that my answers/opinions are of some use to you!

    All the best!

    Granger.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Granger. It's always really good to get feedback from BAPP students about these questions. Thanks for taking the time to read this. Really interesting to see your answers and which questions are useful to you. I find myself moving away from some of these questions through my research and find that I am looking more into engagement. Do you find you inquiry is changing as you look at more research and continue to have discussions with others of the course.

    Thanks again,

    Jess.

    ReplyDelete