Monday, 12 October 2015

Task 4b: Developing my own Special Interest Group

I started this task by looking back at my research on ‘communities’ of practice in task 3b: http://jessicaplant.blogspot.co.uk/p/task-3b-theories-relating-to-networking.html In my concluding thoughts I noted that: 'Fundamentally, Communities of Practice hold the key to our success with networking and Social Constructionism shows that with the appropriate network, meaning can be found and knowledge enhanced.' I intend to use this theory knowledge in my own SIG.
I also researched this topic further through the reading list.  Salmon (2003) states that the better the design process of an online learning site, the better the quality and participation of the learners. From this, I realised that I needed to have a clear purpose for my SIG in order for it to be a successful tool for developing my inquiry and studies.  I also found her website useful for this: http://www.gillysalmon.com/ (Salmon, 2015). 
I have created, and been developing, a SIG (Special Interest Group) over the past few days: ‘Performing Arts and Literacy in Education’. I wanted to create an online space where anyone who works in any form of dance or performing arts education, in any setting (compulsory/private) could discuss similar or dissimilar issues that are arising in their practices. Below, using the Reader 4 questions, I have outlined how I would like to use my SIG.
How does your SIG compare to other groups or communities that you are a part of in the workplace?
I believe my SIG is very different from the communities in my workplace because the people involved have a much broader range of experience. For example, many are still performing or many have performed and are now teaching. Also the range of experience from education is more diverse, as some members work in compulsory education, some in private dance schools and some a mixture of both. In my work community many of us have a shared Academy values, whereas the members of my SIG all have different teaching values, ideas of teaching expectations and have taught a wider range of student ages and abilities. The members of my SIG will be BAPP students, so they will have a much clearer idea of the course expectations, whereas my colleagues do not have this depth of knowledge.
How will you use your SIG?

I would like to use my SIG to develop my question for my inquiry, through posting videos, articles and question, utilising the diverse range of experiences and opinions of the SIG members to try and answer questions that arise. I will try and get a broader idea of education as a whole through my SIG, as my ideas and impressions could be limited to within my workplace. By gaining the opinions of the others on the course, I can ensure that my line of inquiry is legitimate. I will use my SIG to work collaboratively with the BAPP members of the course to discuss issues that arise during the course study period of planning my inquiry. Moreover, I would like to use the SIG as an online space where we can share our professional issues on subjects that arise in our day-to-day practices.
Thoughts… 

I have never been in control of SIG before, so I feel this will be a learning experience for me. My main hope is that the conversations, debates and discussion in this community will be beneficial for all of us as practitioners and something we can use in our inquiries. If and BAPP members feel this SIG would be useful for them and they would like to join, then please comment below so that I can send you an initiation…

Reading List

Salmon, G. (2003) Etivities, The Key to Active Online Learning, London: Kogan Page Limited. 

Salmon, G. (2015) Gilly Salmon: E tivities - Introduction [Internet] Available from: http://www.gillysalmon.com/e-tivities.html [Accessed on 9 October 2015]

5 comments:

  1. Hi Jess,

    I would love to be apart of your SIG!
    Please send me an invitation! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Steph,

      I've sent you an invitation. Thanks for joining.

      Jess.

      Delete
  2. Hi Jess where can i find your invitation? I can't seem to find it

    Thanks,
    Steph

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Steph,

      I have sent the invitation again, so fingers crossed it works this time. It should appear when you go to your Google+ profile as a notification. If it doesn't let me know and we can try another way. Have you managed to join other SIGs yet?

      Jess.

      Delete
  3. Hi Jessica

    Could I possibly be invited to your SIG as we have very similar lines of inquiry?

    Katy

    ReplyDelete