Friday, 23 October 2015

Task 5b: Ethics (from legislation and professional sources)

Since undertaking task 5a, I have researched ethics within my work place. I have researched and used government legislation from the Department of Education, as well as a variety of the Academy policies. I am not quoting or identifying the policies directly on my blog as I do not feel this is appropriate and falls in line with the ethics of my workplace.
Safeguarding
I identified that this was the most important aspect of ethics within my job. When I looked at the Department for Education document of safeguarding, they define safeguarding as, ‘protecting children from maltreatment; preventing impairment of children’s health or development; ensuring that children grow up in circumstances consistent with the provision of safe and effective care; and taking action to enable all children to have the best outcomes’ for everyone of 18 years and younger (p. 3). From this document, I identified that the most significant aspect of safeguarding is reporting anything of concern to the designated member of staff within the school. They state further that ‘Everyone who comes into contact with children and their families has a role to play in safeguarding children’ (p. 3). I also made note that it is the responsibility of the school not only to report suspicions but, ‘All school and college staff have a responsibility to provide a safe environment in which children can learn’ (p. 4).
In terms of my academy policy, it outlines that the policy falls completely inline with government legislation and regional safeguarding procedures. The two mot significant things I took from this policy were the following: mobile phones must be kept in secure places and not be accessed throughout contact time with children and photographs or images of children within the academy care may only be taken after parental consent has been given only using the Academy camera and the images must remain within the setting. Applying this to any possible inquiry I would carry out, I always understood that parental consent must be given before any photographs must be taken. However, I now see that I must use Academy cameras to record any interviews with students. Furthermore, these images must stay within the Academy. Therefore, I may have to only complete audio recordings of interviews in order to stay within academy codes of conduct and within legislation.
Finally from this policy I identified an area that I overlooked in my original post. When speaking to a student on a one-to-one basis it is vital that a door is kept open or a colleague knows where and when a conversation is taking place. This protects both the staff and student. I always do this during my daily practice, but I hadn’t thought about it in terms of how this could affect my inquiry. For example if I were interviewing as student one-to-one in order for them to speak honestly and openly, I would need to ensure that a colleague knows this conversation is happening and I will lave a door open.
Interestingly, I also used the Attendance and Register of Pupils Procedure policy as part of my research. It outlines that we have a duty of care to take registers accurately and know where each student is at any given time. Again, if I am in my Academic Coaching role teaching small groups or delivering one-to-one sessions, I always ensure that staff and attendance are aware of where the students are working (e.g. room number) and the time they will be in that room (specified lesson) working with me. However as part of my inquiry, I will need to ensure that attendance and staff are aware if as student is working with me at any given time either for an interview, questionnaire or task. It is vital that I do this to stay in line with legislation and academy policy.
Data Protection/Permission
The Data Protection Act policy within the academy states that no information will be passed outside of the Academy, Local Authority or Department for Education, unless consent is given. I must ensure that permission is given by all members of staff that have any involvement in my inquiry to pass on my findings, to comply with law.
Codes of Conduct
Interestingly, I didn’t consider the behaviour aspect within my inquiry. As I work within a school setting, it is imperative that my inquiry does not undermine the aims of the Academy to have high expectations in terms of behaviour. Within our behaviour policy we have two very clear visions, which the students should to abide by. I am not going to post them on a blog, as I do not feel this is appropriate. It outlines that staff should encourage and model good behaviour by treating everyone with respect and being polite to all members of the community. Furthermore, within the home/school agreement it states that the school will provide a safe and supportive environment for all pupils. I think this is really important to consider and remember within my inquiry. I always treat staff and students with respect and manors as I feel that it is important to lead by example for the students. However, it is vital that students feel that they will not come under and scrutiny for their opinions/ideas expressed within my inquiry. They need to feel free to make their own statements and without feeling unimportant or that their opinion is not the ‘right’ answer. On the other hand, I need to comply with Academy policy and by challenging and not accepting rude, offensive or inappropriate language to any staff or students, or racist, sexist or homophobic comments. I feel this could be very interesting if I chose to interview students. I need to consider how I will support students and allowing them to express how they feel, whilst at the same time not accepting inappropriate behaviour.
I mentioned Health and Safety within my original post and identified this as having high important within my inquiry. Through looking at the Health and Safety policy, I realised that I didn’t consider completing a risk assessment document. Usually, this is completed for off site activities, such as trips. However, as my inquiry in based in the Academy but not for the sole purpose of the Academy, I need to consider whether would I need to carry out a risk assessment. This is something I need to check with the operations manager at work.
Another aspect that I am fully aware of, yet overlooked in my original post, is ensuring that all students have equal opportunities. In the SEND (Special Educational Needs and Disability) policy, it outlines that it is vital for all students within the academy to have the appropriate support in order to achieve their full potential. Staff need to make sure that adjustments are made to ensure children are not being put at a disadvantage. Differentiation is key within this process. I had not considered all aspects of differentiation this within my inquiry. For example, if a student needs a different colour to read paper to read on in order for them to not be put at a disadvantage, I will need to ensure that any questionnaires or questions are copied onto the specified colour, ensuring they are not at a disadvantage.
My own conduct and professionalism
Although I mentioned that my own professional standards might not be written in a policy, I still thought it was important to consult the policies and government legislation to ensure that I haven’t missed anything obvious in my last post. I consulted the social media policy to ensure that I was using it in line with my inquiry. It states that the Academy logo should not be used without permission on any online site, that line managers and the Principal should be consult before a social media site is created and used. This is the reason why I have never stated where I work on my blog, which Academy I work in or mentioned any staff or student names. I feel it is important to maintain this throughout my inquiry. Furthermore, I will need to continue to censor the information I share and discuss online through my BAPP blog and SIG.
Finally, I looked at the Teachers’ Standards document on the Department for Education website. There are eight teaching standards listed which are as follows: 'Set high expectations which inspire, motivate and challenge pupils; Promote good progress and outcomes by pupils; Demonstrate good subject and curriculum knowledge; Plan and teach well structured lessons; Adapt teaching to respond to the strengths and needs of all pupils; Make accurate and productive use of assessment; Manage behaviour effectively to ensure a good and safe learning environment; Fulfil wider professional responsibilities' (Department for Education, 2015, p. 1). Although my project may not center around my own teaching, I will need to consider how I will abide by these standards, as I work within an educational setting. This policy also outlines the personal and professional conducts of a teacher also. It states that, ‘Teachers uphold public trust in the profession and maintain high standards of ethics and behaviour, within and outside school (Department for Education, 2015, Teaching Standards Document p. 1). This includes many of the ideas I have identified within my school policies such as: treating pupils with dignity, building relationships, safeguarding students, having a tolerance for others/respecting beliefs and values (Department for Education, 2015). It has clearly states that teachers need to have professional regard for school policy and practices (Department for Education, 2015). Therefore, it is vital that I abide by the following things that I have identified within the blog when carrying out my inquiry:
  • Gaining written parental consent
  • Only using Academy camera for filming
  •  Only using audio recordings within my inquiry
  • Gaining permission from staff
  • Conducting any interviews with the door open and another member of staff is aware this is happening
  • Making sure the whereabouts of students is known at all times – this may mean emailing attendance if a student is with me
  • Students must feel supported and valued
  • Unacceptable behaviour is challenged
  •  Consider and sonsult members of staff to establish if a risk assessment needed
  •  SEND considerations and adaptations
  • Continue to censor the information I share online
  • Considering the teaching standards when carrying out my inquiry
      I have found this task interesting because many of the things I discovered from the policies I always abide by in my day to day work, but I hadn't necessarily thought of how these things could affect the way I carry out my inquiry.
Bibliography
Department for Education (2015) Behaviour and Discipline in Schools PDF Document [Internet] Available from: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/behaviour-and-discipline-in-schools-guidance-for-governing-bodies [Accessed on 20 October 2015]
Department for Education (2015) Keeping children safe in education: information for all school and college staff PDF Document [Internet] Available from: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/keeping-children-safe-in-education--2 [Accessed on 20 October 2015]
Department for Education (2015) Teachers’ Standards PDF Document [Internet] Available from: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/teachers-standards [Accessed on 21 October 215]
Workplace Policies used
Attendance and Register of Pupils Procedure Policy
Behaviour Policy
Data Protection Act 1998 Policy
Health and Safety Policy
Staff Dress Policy
Special Educational Needs and Disability Policy
Social Media Policy
Workplace Child Protection and Safeguarding Policy

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jess,

    I have just finished this blog and had to giggle as we have very similar points! Although our ares may be different we have both applied the knowledge from the department of education to review our points.
    How much did you think your original assumptions had changed since doing the research? Has it made you think a little differently about your inquiry? if so in what way?
    When you talk about the disability factor that may arise in some students, I am the same as you I didn't originally take this into consideration however it has allowed me to open my eyes into different considerations that may apply throughout my inquiry.
    I am still not completely set on what my inquiry will be yet but this section has helped put a bit more structure to it.
    Hope to hear from you soon!
    Steph

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Steph,

      Thanks for your comment. It is always good to get some feedback. Yes I have been looking through your blog recently and I have seen many similarities between our practices.

      I do not think my original thoughts were necessarily wrong or changed that drastically, but further looking into and researching my own work place policies really helped me to consider my own work context in more detail. For example, although government legislation (Department for Education) outlines safeguarding regulations very clearly, within my own working context I noticed the recommendation of leaving a door open during a one-to-one conversation and always informing colleagues of where the conversation is taking place.

      I think the most significant way in which this task helped me, was realising that procedures and and policies I follow everyday have to carry through to my inquiry. As an example, for safeguarding reasons, I need to inform the attendance team if a student is with me for part of my inquiry and not in their timetables lessons.

      Have you managed to find the invitation to join my SIG yet. I would really like to discuss the ethical dimensions of my inquiry with you, as our work places are so similar.

      Thanks again,

      Jess

      Delete